Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss water ufh under wetroom screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

spwilko

Hello
First time caller here. Great forum guys!

I'm going to screed over a central heating piped ufh system (this is a beam and block concrete floor).
I created my own falling screed many years ago over an electric ufh system; fully tanked and still dry and crack free :) but wondered what's the best practice these days now lots of products exist.

I've seen many formers for shower floors but they all seem to be for electric ufh systems.

Any advice would be great.

W

wetdec

Hi m8 welcome

If your working over Bison beams and will screed as usual then the Tilux shower tray former is your easiest and most cost effective option.

Tilux wet room shower tray

Your ufh should loop around your shower former not go over or under it. For the wet area concerned there is no great value to having it heated, the base itself is an insulator and the heat will creap from the surrounding area.

If you were using electric I would say the same, don't go over the wet room former as if there is a drain or level problem you will loose the heating for the whole floor.

Over the new screed you should be looking at using Dura-ci uncoupling membrane to save tile damage.

Shout if you need more

tiler

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jaycee1

We have piped underfloor heating and have had problems with screed and tiles cracking. I wish we had been advised to use a de-coupling matting by the tiler, builder or plumber. From our experience we cannot believe that it isnt standard practice.

W

wetdec

Thank you for that extremely valid point on your experience !!!

People can think we are trying to over sell on Durabase-ci / dura-ci for new floors when in fact it is a must to prevent tile damage on wood, new screeds, under tile heating and in screed heating due to the way new homes are constructed.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

tiler

J

jaycee1

A pleasure, I would shout it from the roof tops if I could. We paid nearly £4000 for tiles and tiling and now have cracked screed tiles and grout.

S

spwilko

Thanks for that advice.

As well as the wetroom I have a new kitchen (7x7m) which will be have piped ufh and be tiled. Would dura-ci be necessary here too?

J

jaycee1

It is my kitchen where we have had the problem. I am also having a wet room tiled and I will make sure it has decoupling matting. Am i correct in thinking there is a special waterproof one for wet rooms?

Reply to water ufh under wetroom screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks