Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Walls or Floor First? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hey guys and gals.......

So here's a question for which I am very curious to know the answer from you as I think this will be quite conflicting.....
I have had numerous heated discussions with a few other tilers in this respect and I get quite annoyed at some of there answers and their reasons why!!
so......
Where you have a completely tiled bathroom or wet room 'Would you tile the floor first or the walls??

And please give your reasoning here.

Cheers.

Stu

D

Dumbo

I you have a square tile on the floor and the walls which is the same tile and you want to match grout lines . Floor first otherwise walls first

J

J Sid

Always floor first no matter what is going on the walls.
I like to have an explanation joint out of sight under the wall tile. If possible I a line joints between wall and floor and this is much easier done with ff down.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Put a ledger around the room 1 tile off floor, tile all walls, tile floor, cut bottom row to floor. Grout, get paid, move on to the next.

OP
S
Reaction score
So, I am a floor first type of guy as I believe that when a wall tile sits over a floor tile you get a potentially better seal, even though it is silicone beaded anyway, should the silicone fail or the whole floor drop for some reason (nothing tile related but structural issue or where the cleaning regime is harsh enough to possibly pull the beaded edge away over a period of time) then any water running down the wall is less likely to run into an opened up joint where the floor was tiled after the walls.
When I've tiled the floor i then run a bead of silicone around the perimeter and then tile the walls down over this and then once tiled silicone a bead to the corner as normal, this creates a double barrier in my opinion. If it gives longevity to my bathroom fitting then that can only be a bonus.

In my opinion its no different to fitting a shower tray or bath first and then tile from there up, or do people that tile the floor after the walls fit the shower tray or bath after tile the walls first!
A tiler that I worked with years ago used to tile the floor after the walls and when I questioned why he did it that way his response was because he could get on the job and tile the walls first as he didn't have to wait for the floor to dry, which would cause delays in getting the job done. There was no argument as to whether it was right or wrong!

So, do you think this is a preference thing?

D

Dumbo

As said before you can tile walls first by fixing a batten and tile the wall then once the floor is done fix the bottom row .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I do it both ways , with a 3 way laser its easy to tile the walls first , and it keeps mess off the floor, as no matter how u cover it, it always gets mucky :(
I usually floor tile up to the wall Tiles as well

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Usually walls first for me but on my current job gone with floor first as tile walls with metros and will get better finish with floor tile under then

Reply to Walls or Floor First? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock