Search the forum,

Discuss Using SLC to achieve 8mm depth in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

I've got some Weber SLC to do this with.

Having tried to contact Weber technical today to find out about the best way to approach this and failed, could anyone please suggest and idiot's proof guide to this job?

I am fairly inexperienced with SLC as many of my floor tiling jobs have oddly enough meant me tiling onto good floors or new screeds that I have laid.

From looking on here the practise seems to be to mix, pour and spread out using a flat bed trowel, then allow it to find its own level. I've got about 9 m squared to do. My concern is that the first mixes start to go off before the last mixes get poured.

I probably need to build up about 8mm in floor height overall. I guess I'll be doing this in stages, say 3mm at a time, let it go off then another 3mm.

Would that be right?

C

cornish_crofter

It's got a 45 minute working life, I don't think I can do it that quickly Neale. There's 9 bags of the stuff.

Now I can feel myself starting to panic!

Do I just pour it in the centre or do I work my way from the edges pouring towards the centre

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

This may sound like a really stupid question but what exactly is the process here Neale?

Do you just pour it and hope for the best, or do you have to help it?

And how do you ensure that you get the 8mm all in one go without.....

a) ending up in one lump

b) having to walk in it once it's down but before it's fully dried?

G

Gazzer

1st Prime the floor.
2nd get all your water and bags ready.
3rd Big buckets to mix with
4th Mix a bag at a time
5th pour it all out and repeat 4 and
You will need to help it slightly and it may help you if you place a few bits of old tile around the floor so you can tell when you are meeting the required heights. these will need to be placed and levelled of course.
levelling isnt that hard at all and dont forget that you dont need a perfect surface unless you are laying soft floooring.

C

cornish_crofter

One idea that did occur to me is to mark the required height on the walls. Then I can get an idea as to how close I am to it. The concrete floor is fairly even, and had it not been for the floor height, I may well have considered tiling straight onto it.

Having said that, with the fight I'm having getting tiles dead level at the moment I was hoping that the SLC would make it easier.

One assumes that if I fix the tiles in place to level up to these can stay put after the SLC is down?

S

SandyFloor

Don't panic about it Hugo, it's easier than it seems. A screed is fluid but probably not as fluid as you're thinking. Follow Sir Ramic's instructions and you'll be fine. It actually takes longer to set up and clean up than it takes to do the job.

G

Gazzer

The pieces of tile need only be 10mm square. They are only there to give you something to work too and can stay there when levelled . As you pour you will see the leveller reach the top of the tiles and then you stop pouring.

S

SandyFloor

I gauge my depth by fixing screws to the concrete every 6 ft or so and use a level over the top of them ( when dry you just unscrew them). I also use self adhesive draught excluder foam round the open edges like doorways or under kitchen units where I don't want it to go and it maintains level right up to the edge. Bear in mind though I usually do it for Karndean/Amtico so I need it much flatter than is required for tiling.

Reply to Using SLC to achieve 8mm depth in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen