Search the forum,

Discuss trowel notch size - confused advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
good afternoon,

this website says a 12x12 square notch gives you 6mm deep adhesive. it also says a round trowel leave a 1/3 of its size, so a 10mm round lays 3mm deep.

my tiles are 400mm x 150mm, 10mm thick, 1.02kg in weight and going onto plasterboard. should i go for a 10mm square which would give me 5mm thickness or a 10mm round which would give me 3mm?

i'm a bit worried that too thick an adhesive will put the walls overweight. what do you guys use for plasterboard walls?

it's all a bit confusing. thank you for reading any any advice you can give

Reaction score
A round notch is generally used for floors, so use a square notch. Has the plasterboard been skimmed or are they bare plasterboard? The tiles would be just under 17kg per m2. a 4mm bed of adhesive would, I think, take you over the weight for skimmed plasterboard but one of the pro's can advise you better.
Skimmed plasterboard can take up to 20kg/m2, bare boards can take 32 kg/m2.
As for the trowel- a 10mm or 8mm is probably ok. Use the smallest one that gives the proper coverage between wall and tile. Too thick a bed will make it harder to keep the job clean and flat.
[automerge]1597841996[/automerge]
View: https://youtu.be/w5RqzOAn_tc

Reply to trowel notch size - confused advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen