Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine Vs decoupling membranes.....your opinions. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peegee tips

Hi all,

Just wanted to see what people think about using a decoupling membrane with Travertine on concrete floors that aren't heated.

Obviously for piece of mind ( belts & braces ) , but when could you perhaps not use it & when should you definately use it on concrete.

Your thought as ever would be appreciated.

Thanks.

W

White Room

Could be depending how old the screed is, a new one could crack due to drying out and an existing would probably be well settled and any cracks would have already appeared.

I have laid trav on older screeds without a membrane

D

david campbell

jeeeze travertine!!!!!!!
nearly forgot what it's like to lay,it's been ages now and it's my favourite when finished!
better safe than sorry is my opinion so i would tend to try and talk the customer into it!:thumbsup:

A

Aston

the size/ area of the floor comes into play...if its a fairly large floor and there is no expansion breaks in the concrete and there is evidence of cracks/movement then i would go on the side of caution but other wise i'd say no...

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to see what people think about using a decoupling membrane with Travertine on concrete floors that aren't heated.

Obviously for piece of mind ( belts & braces ) , but when could you perhaps not use it & when should you definately use it on concrete.

Your thought as ever would be appreciated.

Thanks.
do you mean finished concrete, ?
a concrete oversite,?
a screeded finished floor? just out of interest !! its the same ansewr

W

White Room

I've been down this road before gooner, a screed is not concrete but it's the way most describe it:oops:

R

Richard Edwards

I agree with Aston tiling

If the floors a big un - without expandsion joints say 80/100m2 plus or long and thin, I would ensure un coupling membrane. if not and the structure is old and concrete is a few years old and any settling has happened, I would not. Then I would use a extra resin cement based adhesive and add polymer at correct rate for adhesive mix. Ensure reasonable joints and grout with quality - polymer enhanced grout

Richard Edwards
The Quality Tiling Co Ltd
South Wales :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peegee tips

do you mean finished concrete, ?
a concrete oversite,?
a screeded finished floor? just out of interest !! its the same ansewr

Yeah I guess I was refering to a screeded floor mainly, plus floors that have extensions & stuff added to meet the original base.

Sorry for the wrong definition !!:oops:

So if you decide against decoupling are you still using a normal flexi adhesive or 2part?

Reply to Travertine Vs decoupling membranes.....your opinions. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen