Search the forum,

Discuss Travertine Vs decoupling membranes.....your opinions. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Hi all,

Just wanted to see what people think about using a decoupling membrane with Travertine on concrete floors that aren't heated.

Obviously for piece of mind ( belts & braces ) , but when could you perhaps not use it & when should you definately use it on concrete.

Your thought as ever would be appreciated.

Thanks.
do you mean finished concrete, ?
a concrete oversite,?
a screeded finished floor? just out of interest !! its the same ansewr

R

Richard Edwards

I agree with Aston tiling

If the floors a big un - without expandsion joints say 80/100m2 plus or long and thin, I would ensure un coupling membrane. if not and the structure is old and concrete is a few years old and any settling has happened, I would not. Then I would use a extra resin cement based adhesive and add polymer at correct rate for adhesive mix. Ensure reasonable joints and grout with quality - polymer enhanced grout

Richard Edwards
The Quality Tiling Co Ltd
South Wales :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peegee tips

do you mean finished concrete, ?
a concrete oversite,?
a screeded finished floor? just out of interest !! its the same ansewr

Yeah I guess I was refering to a screeded floor mainly, plus floors that have extensions & stuff added to meet the original base.

Sorry for the wrong definition !!:oops:

So if you decide against decoupling are you still using a normal flexi adhesive or 2part?

R

Richard Edwards

Hi PeeGee Tips

There are two things as far as I can see. One is the expandsion / contraction laterally and the other is the strength of the bond. On travertine I tend to use Nicobonds 'Extra' White especially if it is light in colour and add Polymer additive as Nicobond Enhancer in the mix - Bal do something similar.

The only time I use 2 pack systems is if part of the floor is concrete/screed and part is timber /ply. Then I prefer BalFast Flex or also bagged in bucket 7.5 kg as Butec Tile to Wood - very difficult to work with but excellent for flex / sound proof etc. Clean joint as you go and keep work area/tools/hands and knees clean. As these two pack systems are seriously expensive, I sometimes use them on the timber and overlap by 500mm and switch back to cementous adh. If the extensions are same material as main part, then as long as sound and stable should be ok with Un-coupling membrane.

Not sure if this is the angle you were looking at - hope this helps

:thumbsup:

P

peegee tips

One of the main reasons I started this thread was because I know that it is possible under certain circumstances to do the job without the membrane, & other times it is imperative.
However you know the score, you decide it needs a membrane at ££££ extra to the customer, only for someone else to come in & convince the customer otherwise, only for you too look like you're on the con, & lose out on the job.....

I know that you can't win them all, this is why I feel the thread could be beneficial & helpful to people who maybe quoting for a membrane when really you could probably get away with it.

I have to admit that I prefer the customer to use it, by explaining the downfalls of not having it, then leaving them to make the final decision. You can be the best salesman in the country, but when you put this extra cost in to the equation, someone will always see an opportunity to undercut you!!

Hence using it & not using it.

What are your thoughts on this?

T

Terry Cottar

There are two issues here. The substrate and the stone and just based on the very nature of travertine and the many varying qualities I personally would use a decoupling membrane in most instances new or old substrate purely because you have less chance of a void if it is laid on Ditra or similar and thus less chance of getting a hole through a void stress point. In other words it is Belt & Braces but one less thing to go wrong

tel

R

Rich

If its any help the stone federation have just come out saying that any trav layed onto and substrate must be laid over Ditra (not just any uncoupling membrane). This might be over kill but it might be easier to convince the customer to pay if you tell them this. Also a uncoupling membrain is not a substitute for expansion joints Richard! If the floor was that big you would still need expansion joints every 7-10m with or without uncoupling membrane.

Reply to Travertine Vs decoupling membranes.....your opinions. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.