Discuss Travertine in upstairs bathroom in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

StephenR

In November I'll be starting a bathroom which will be fully tiled in 12mm travertine in an Edwardian house.

I've checked out posts here and guidelines and it seems 12mm plasterboard will be good for walls. I'll be tanking the bath/shower area with Mapegum or similar but haven't yet checked with Mapei tech on that.

For the floor, was going to over lay in Hardie backer bedded in adhesive, screwed and taped. Is this enough or should I go for ditra on top?

Was going to use all Mapei addy and grout.

The sealer the tile shop sells for £53 covers 10 to 15m2 so lets say 10. There's 26m2 of tile. They say it lasts 13 years so pays for itself in the long run. Are there sealers that do that in reality?

Any comments welcome.

cheers,

Stephen

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi stephen solid walls it is then i assume are you going to take back and dot and dab them?

what type of sealer is that stephen your looking at buying,just check floor also if they are old may be better to ply them then over sheet with hardi or knauf boards

S

StephenR

!/2 the walls are solid so yes, take of old plaster and dot and dab boards over. Rest is studwork with existing skimmed plasterboard so was going to replace that as well.

Sealer is Dry Treat Meta Creme META CRÈME.

Overlay with ply will increase floor level quite a bit. If boards are old but solid and firmly fixed, is over ply needed? Or is this a belt and braces approach?

thanks,

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FreddySmith81

I always put some ply down just on older floors in case they start to degrade. better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
I'd use 6mm hardie backer glued and screwed......

we are currently tiling a house in Leamington with similar product, travertines and limestones. We have 2 bathrooms and 6 ensuites. All wall are lined with 6mm hardibacker, screwed and glued. so i've got to agree with whitebeam.

main concern with tiling stone onto wall is weight, check with your supplier that the kg / m2 does not exceed 30 kg /m2 including a couple of kg of adhesive.

if you do exceed this weight you must fix to either ply, wedi, or hardibaker type products. Adhesive manufacturers will tell you the weight of what you are fixing will pull the plaster off the wall.

hope this helps :)

S

StephenR

hi stephen solid walls it is then i assume are you going to take back and dot and dab them?

what type of sealer is that stephen your looking at buying,just check floor also if they are old may be better to ply them then over sheet with hardi or knauf boards

Halfway through this job and after checking over the floor, will board over with ply first and then use hardi over that.

The sealer I mentioned is now not available. Any recommendations on that for honed and filled travertine?

cheers,

Stephen

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
we are currently tiling a house in Leamington with similar product, travertines and limestones. We have 2 bathrooms and 6 ensuites. All wall are lined with 6mm hardibacker, screwed and glued. so i've got to agree with whitebeam.

main concern with tiling stone onto wall is weight, check with your supplier that the kg / m2 does not exceed 30 kg /m2 including a couple of kg of adhesive.

32kg per m2 :)

Reply to Travertine in upstairs bathroom in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22