Search the forum,

Discuss Toughseal damp proof option in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Holohana

Has anyone had the pleasure in using RIW Toughseal, as recommended by BAL Technichal, as damp proof membrane painted on the sub floor floor and then tiled on top as normal?

Well to stop any moisture coming up through the sub floor as a pose to a damp proof membrane!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've not used it myself but I've heard of it.

As it's not really a DPM replacement I've not seen a use for it. I think it could be handy if you had a bit of a damp problem under carpet but under tiles? What's the point?

H

Holohana

The idea is that it stops any water/damp etc coming through the sub floor allowing you to apply adhesive on top without it lifting the addy of the floor and then blowing the tiles.

G

GazTech

broken link removed.... not really sure......Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Off the website.

toughseal website said:
Toughseal

RIW Toughseal is a solvent free polymer modified colour coded coating based on epoxy resins. Typically used to provided a water and water vapour proof barrier in areas that require excellent tensile adhesion, chemical resistance and abrasion resistance such as plant rooms and under raised access floors. RIW Toughseal has a Class 1 fire rating and is UV resistant.
Type of Uses
  • <LI class=TXTbody>Raised access floors <LI class=TXTbody>Ground floor DPM <LI class=TXTbody>Plant rooms <LI class=TXTbody>Bunded areas <LI class=TXTbody>Changing rooms <LI class=TXTbody>Shower rooms
  • Swimming pools
Case Studies
  • <LI class=TXTbody>Water and water vapour barrier <LI class=TXTbody>Excellent tensile adhesion to substrate <LI class=TXTbody>Seamless and fully bonded <LI class=TXTbody>Excellent chemical resistance <LI class=TXTbody>UV resistant
  • Class 1 fire rating
----
The idea is that it stops any water/damp etc coming through the sub floor allowing you to apply adhesive on top without it lifting the addy of the floor and then blowing the tiles.

Cement based adhesives shouldn't blow even if you fix tiles to a damp floor with it, so I believe. After all, it's cement based and often polymer modified.

Reading their site it seems to be more of a tanking system than a DPM.

Last edited:

Reply to Toughseal damp proof option in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen