Search the forum,

Discuss To brick bond or not? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

N

Noona12

Hi I'm new here and am after some advice please. The tiles on our bathroom floor are laid in a brick bond pattern. They are 300 x 600. Do we tile the walls in the same pattern or in the traditional way? The tiles are the same size but a different colour. I can't decide so thought an expert might be able to advise me on what to do. Is one way easier than the other?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Brick bond is harder to get right, and less forgiving if the walls aren't perfectly flat. Aesthetically, it's just down to personal taste really.. No right or wrong way. ;)

C

charlie1

I'm personally not a fan of brick bond unless using stone but as beanz says,no right or wrong,you could have them any way you want

M

m3fitter

Brick bond can look very affective, but if they are rectified, the look is dependant on the suitability of the substrate and how true the tiles are, ie: not bowed, as they will lip on a half bond. Also dependent on the lighting, if downlighters are present and too close to the walls, even a .05mm lip will cast shadows and look amateurish. essential to Use a feather straight edge on every course. Good luck :)

C

charlie1

Another thing to consider when doing the horizontal set out, make sure the cuts flow around the corners... Very important Imo. Can be a pain to set out though

J

Jeff the tiler

2 points. 1)You need to careful where there are focal areas where the wall and the floor tiles meet as potentially nothing will line up and there could be lots of joints crossing. Dependent on how the floor sets out you may be better off just stacking the tiles as you may be able to match the joint lines if it sets out wall wise,
on either the
longer side laid horizontally or longer side vertically. I think brick bonding may look to busy if not set to the floor correctly but it is a personal choice. 2) if you go with brick bond then as Charlie has said try to flow around the corner. Good luck

Reply to To brick bond or not? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen