Discuss Time bomb of work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Just looking through the dodgy jobs thread, a lot of pictures of D&D tiles or spot fixing method failing. I went out to replace a few tiles the other month and had to tell customer his whole floor was failing (70m2) due to same reason.

What type of "Tiler" is doing this?? older guys with attitude of "never had a problem" or is it new guys who have come through short course training??

If its the later then with all the new tilers in recent years we could be sitting on a lot of work needing redone properly in next few years.

Has spot fixing ever been an acceptable method of tiling?? maybe you older guys can shed light?

R

Rookery

I doubt its the fixers who have been on short courses as I am of the opinion that they would have been taught the correct way. Most likely they are builders/joiners/plumbers/etc who dont know its wrong and have largely got away with it. Worst case would be those who know the right methods but still do it wrong. Just my view of course.

C

charlie1

I doubt its the fixers who have been on short courses as I am of the opinion that they would have been taught the correct way. Most likely they are builders/joiners/plumbers/etc who dont know its wrong and have largely got away with it. Worst case would be those who know the right methods but still do it wrong. Just my view of course.

Good point, you could be right there... finger pointed at the general builder now

W

White Room

I done some tiling with a plumber as he was trying to push the job along and noticed he was sneaking a bit of dot and dabbing and put him right.....then he said I've been doing this for ages and blah blah.

C

charlie1

I done some tiling with a plumber as he was trying to push the job along and noticed he was sneaking a bit of dot and dabbing and put him right.....then he said I've been doing this for ages and blah blah.

That old saying eh "been doing it like that for ages" a tiled floor should last for decades imo! bot a year!

J

jlktiling

Cant change an old builders Spots! They are stubborn as a mule more often than not!

afright

TF
Reaction score
Surely no Tiler in his right mind would spot fix 70m2 ,my old boss would have shot me if I did that, do they think they save on adhesive

B

bugs183

I very much doubt that any course would teach dot and dab.
I've seen some shocking jobs over the years, and most guys got away with dot and dab as the tile formats were small and they would have covered a good amount of the tile, but it doesn't address the mechanical key that using a notched trowel gives you.
But these days tiles are BIG, so not only are the tiles not getting enough adhesive cover, but the weight of the tile is also affecting the bond, so Dot and Dab is way more serious than ever, to the point where Dot and Dab stone on a wall (painted!!!!) could kill someone, if they fell down.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i worked with a tiler many years ago and that is the only way he would fix tlies and to be quite honest i dont remember any comebacks and a lot of the work we did at the time was pretty bigish jobs schools kitchens and hospitals and the likes where there were clerk of works on the jobs not just mrs jones,s bathroom,(im not saying it is the thing to do before you all start),but there are times in certain circumstanses that i have had to do a bit of that also ,and any body who says they havent done it ,well i dont believe you

afright

TF
Reaction score
My old Boss had a saying "I do not want to see any voids behind those tiles ,if I check and there is I will make you take them down and retile the wall without pay" British Standards say that you can dot and dab but only in awkward positions.

Last edited:

Reply to Time bomb of work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay