Discuss tilling over hardwall in bathroom in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

6spidermonkeys

to all
can anyone tell me if its ok to tile over hardwall plaster which is going to be wher the new shower will be .the area is about 2.5 high and 600 wide .should i just hack it off and sand and cement it. or am i just being paranoid. cheers

6spidermonkeys

cheers mate .thought i try this forum lark out .if you dont ask you don find out

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
welcome to the forum, tiles can not be applied to any thistle undercoat plasters, except thistle dri-coat, so best to hack it off or scim over with a finish plaster...:thumbsup:

6spidermonkeys

me thinks me be hacking it off and cement render.worth the piece of mind cheers al

6spidermonkeys

can do whats the difference with hardwall and plasterboard apart from the paper on plasterboard there both pretty soft cheers alan

6spidermonkeys

can do whats the difference with hardwall and plasterboard apart from the paper on plasterboard there both pretty soft cheers alan
i think i know the answer to this would it make a difference if i pva the hardwall before tilling

B

Bubblecraft

Hi & welcome. PVA is a swear word about here. Unfortunately it is a big no no. As stated above, best bet is to dot & dab or coat with a finishing plaster

B

Bubblecraft

When you treat a surface with PVA it partly soaks in and parlty sits on the surface of the substrate much in the same way as wallpaper paste.

If PVA gets wet it becomes slightly live again, it doesn't completely return to it's liquid state but it becomes sticky.

When you spread tile adhesive onto the wall or floor, the water in the adhesive makes the PVA live and stops the adhesive from penetrating the substrate and providing a mechanical grip. Basically your tiles, grout and adhesive are being held to the wall or floor by a thin layer of PVA.

Most tile adhesive works by crystalising when it sets (some are slightly different such as epoxy based ones) but generally they all work the same way. Once the adhesive starts to set, crystals from and expand into any imperfections in the substrate surface (at a microscopic level) to create a grip. PVA stops this process by creating a barrier between the substrate and the tile adhesive.

Dedicated primers soak right in to the substrate and stop the sponge like "draw "effect but they don't coat the surface in any way, they are an impregnator as opposed to a barrier.

Hope that clears things up

6spidermonkeys

can anyone recommend a suitable primer for the rest of the wall regards alan

Reply to tilling over hardwall in bathroom in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks