Discuss Tiling over existing tiles in bathroom. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

LEO2020

TF
Reaction score
Hi there, I just wanted the opinion of some pro tilers. I live in a rented house and the bathrooms are really tired. I got the Landlord to agree on having them updated. They are both medium/ large sized with floors & walls completely tiled. She'll pay for it and I'll arrange it for her at the best price / quality I can find. I asked a couple of plumbers I know if they could give me their opinions and got totally different answers when it came to tiling. The 1st said stick new tiles over the exiting ones as it'll save time and money the 2nd plumber said pull everything up and start fresh. The landlord isn't rich and doesn't really care about quality so what's the best option???

D

Dumbo

Second one is best option as extra weight involved in in first option may cause the tiles to come of the wall .
Be careful once you have found someone , get them to send estimate to landlord with her name on the estimate and make sure she accepts it and not you or you could be liable for payment .

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I tiled my own bathroom a few years ago. I pulled off the layer of tile to find another layer of tile!! You don't know what is behind the first layer of tile and the chances are that the walls need replastering too.
To do it right it should be a complete rip out. EVERYTHING. No keeping that bath or shower screen!!

U

Unused Account 1

Landlords do itto cheap ,last 3 to 5 years then problems ,do it properly ,lasts 15 to 20 years ,bingo

Reply to Tiling over existing tiles in bathroom. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks