Search the forum,

Discuss tiling onto flexible wood floor. Advice please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

les

Okay, agreed I messed up. Was the ply thick enough ? Should I have primed it, and what with ? What adhesive ? And what grout.?
As for blaming it on the child, you might change your mind a little if you saw the rest of the house. Holes in the kitchen floor tiles. wallpaper pulled off. holes in the plasterwork and doors. A six year old kitchen with all the doors refixed at least 3 times, none of them close, all the hinges are bent and broken. The worktops and cupboards all warped and half rotten. There is nothing in the house that is not bashed broken and in most cases, saturated. The only thing he really likes is playing with water. His obsession with that has got worse since the bathroom was done in june.
So, apart from a properly constructed and preferably ground floor wetroom, what would have held up ?

G

Gazzer

You say you screwed the ply? At what centres and what size screw. Did you prime back and sides of ply ?
Ready mixed adhesive and your friend tiling to very high standards ??? Ok that’s a joke …right ?
As for the child being blamed…get real, while he may be responsible for the doors etc , he can in no way be blamed for the floor……floors are tiled and have cars parked on them with no issues.

L

les

Okay, finally got hold of Darren, as he did the actual tiling. Adhesive was flexible latex stuff from either Wickes or Topps, grout was Bal. It was not a solid bed but done with a notched spreader.
Only things we definitely did wrong was not screwing into the joists, just the boards, don't know the centres but quite a lot of screws, and, maybe the problem, we did not prime the wood.
Darren is much more experienced than me, which was why I got him in, he has tiled plenty of floors and this is his first problem, so, again, any advice please. ( apart from stop doing bathrooms )

L

les

Thanks Everdon. I thought we had done it well enough, but there must have been just enough movement in the floor to allow the grout to crack ( it went first, starting a couple of months after we finished ) That allowed water in, as it was not primed that must have allowed the adhesive to lift. Thats all I can think of, although with some posters saying 6mm ply was ok, I'm surprised that 18mm Far Eastern Ply was still not enough.

Reply to tiling onto flexible wood floor. Advice please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.