Currently reading:
tiling onto damp concrete floor

Discuss tiling onto damp concrete floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

annacarter

Our final job in a long renovation, is our kitchen - the concrete floor is damp and I am desparate to discover a way of tiling it without having to take up the concrete floor to lay damp proofing membrane unerneath a new layer of concrete... The concrete in the other downstairs room was only a thin layer over pannett tiles - the kitchen floor is sadly rather more solid. As our ceilings are already very low we can't add another layer of damp-proofed concrete over the existing one.
Please, someone, give me some good news!!

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Thank you for so many quick responses!
The property is a small 1820s middle terrace.

I'm liking the sound of a dpm resin and latex skim. 6 or 7 mm height loss I can cope with!
(Excuse the stupid question, but are dpm resin and liquid the same?)

Is there any particular mortar that should be used on top of the latex screed?

The dpm resin, is a sticky gooey 2 part epoxy based liquid to be precise.:thumbsup

I would advise a single part flexi tile adhesive on top which will enable you to have stone, ceramic or porcelain tiles fixed.

Last edited:
A

annacarter

Have I missed something....
How damp is the concrete & why is it damp?

Depending on the condition of the concrete you could adhere a decoupling membrane, such as Dural-Ci. This will act as a vapour prevention barrier & is only 3mm thick.

The floor is damp due to rising damp from ground. The walls have all had damp proof course / injection (about 3 years ago - we've been renovating rather slowly!). (In the other room we took up the concrete, original tiles, excavated, and laid dpm and celotex under new layer of concrete).

Hard to tell how damp the concrete is - it's got temporary lino over most of it - exposed bits are only damp to the touch - not visibly wet. The soil / sand directly under the concrete layer is damp to touch (no other foundations). I know we will need to take the lino up to air / dry the concrete some time before we lay the new floor, but the mouldy smell makes me want to leave the lino down as long as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to tiling onto damp concrete floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.