Currently reading:
Tiling adhesive. Which is best?

Discuss Tiling adhesive. Which is best? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Powdered adhesive every time, less water content than premix. Tank the area using a tanking kit - tile master do a really good one for about £60.00, includes primer, corner pieces, tape, paste. Do 2 coats with the paste, one vertical one horizontal, if I’m doing a walk in I do the floor as well, and place tape and corner pieces under the tray as well as above. Trade mate pro rapid is my preferred adhesive, dunno why, just seems to work with my tiling times in the bucket. Personally I avoid anything maipei, just think it’s inferior and stupidly expensive. We all have our little quirks. Oh if you do the floor under the shower tray, make sure you don’t just do that area (a larger area than tray is better).

O

Old Mod

Just a quick thought.

Have you ever had one? :p

Just take it back enough to allow joint to accept grout and so that it doesn’t protrude through the grout.
Technically, transitions (wall to wall & wall to floor joints) should be adhesive free to allow movement in the substrate from impacting on the adjoining Tiling, but that doesn’t mean you need to be super anal about it.
All transitions should have a silicone joint and not grout, that way each substrate remains independent of each other.
Tubbed adhesive dries by the way of dispersion, basically the moisture in the adhesive evaporates, this will be hindered in a tanked area and if the tiles are too big.
Powdered adhesives dry due to a chemical reaction, so it will dry regardless.
This is one of the reasons why we use powdered adhesives.

Reply to Tiling adhesive. Which is best? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement