Discuss TILE TRIM around doors? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

faithhealer

Usually just tile up to the architrave if I've got the just of your post right Andy

A

andyb_987

To give a better piture there is a facing round the door just now with tiles tiled up to it.
I was thinking remove this and finish up to the door with tile trim.

What is arcitape?

A

andyb_987

To give a better piture there is a facing round the door just now with tiles tiled up to it.
I was thinking remove this and finish up to the door with tile trim.

What is architrave

F

faithhealer

architrave is the 'fancy' moulding around a door frame, I think that is the facing you mean. If the old architrave is not in a good condition, replace with new, it's not expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

toffo

architrave. can be made of wood or plastic usually wood. therefore u would want 2 leave a gap & fill with silli as wood tends 2 swell or shrink with temp varaints

A

andyb_987

Thanks.So there is always a architrave? Is it possible to remove it and tile right up to door then fit the trim?

T

toffo

yes it is possible 2 do this but i think the door looks better with its own wood surround.personal oppi .

T

Time's Ran Out

:thumbsup:Andy.
So you now know what the wood frame around all your doors is called - arcitrave - and it is often found in bathrooms as well.
However with the advent of the 'wet room' a lot more people are having it removed and tiling right up to the door return.
You can use tile trim to this edge of the tile to finish around the door frame but make sure that the door carcase ( where the frame meets the plasterboard) is taped and skimmed to reduce movement in the different materials.
Have fun:thumbsup:
John.

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Take the architrave of and put a ground around the liner which is a piece of batten the thickness of tile and addy to build it out tile up to this and then replace the architrave which will then cover tiles.
Lucius

Reply to TILE TRIM around doors? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks