Discuss Tile Spacers, leave them in, or take them out, What say you!!! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Maria Leaver

My tiler has left some of the spacers in the grout. I don't want my flashback tiles to crack. It's been 6 months- should I still try to remove the spacers or leave them in.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
We are having a constant battle with learners and employers of apprentices regarding leaving tile spacers in the joint. This is something I have never done on any job ( that I can remember:rolleyes5:). There are loads of YouTube vids and many pieces of literature that show the spacer in the joint but it will never state that is has to be removed (annoying :mad2: ). There are lots of reasons why it isn't acceptable. Has anyone had any experience with this, e.g., customer, site agent , Clark of works, architect or another fixer, OR tiling lecturer:eek:mg_smile:. Want side of the fence are you on!!
(apologies if this has been discussed before..)
On floors no spacers full stop every spacer placed could have been a tile instead !! Stick to your lines or lasers !!

C

Cera Nevada

The two main points were these:- It can weaken the joint because of the lack of grout in the joint and also because the depth of grout is not the same throughout the joint...
Home was last renovated in 1993, grout failed at corners, each had a solid spacer. The spacer became rigid and brittle with age, and grout did not adhere to it. Nice tile, but the cracking turned it into a mess.

Reply to Tile Spacers, leave them in, or take them out, What say you!!! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks