Search the forum,

Discuss Tile line problems either side of border in bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sharkysharky

Hello chaps !

Please forgive me if this is a simple problem but I'm a newbie and this is the first proper tiling job I've ever attempted.

I'm tiling my bathroom and the vertical tile lines line up pretty much perfect either side of the border (the bottoms grouted, I'm currently tiling the top), apart that is, from the one vertical column I'm working on, the right hand side of the tile on top is well over the right hand side of the grout line on the bottom below the border. It's almost as if this particular row of tiles is slightly wider than the other tiles. The left hand side of the column match up fine. Have I dropped a clanger somewhere ?

As far as I can see I've got 2 options, take that particular column off and try again, or ever so slightly sand down the right hand side of the top column to bring it back into line with the same point on the bottom of the border. It'll be about 4 mm slimmer but I don't think it will be noticable. Any ideas from the pros ? Thanks I really appreciate it:mad2:

I

Ian

Any chance of a picture or 2? Don't fully understand the problem. Welcome along to the forum.

D

Daz

Can you post a few pics to illustrate the issue please?

BTW welcome to TF.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brinkley

are you talking about sanding tiles down by 4mm you still cant bend tiles as they are rigid so pics would be good as i may be totally off here

S

Spud

do you have 2 different colour tiles say dark on the bottom then the border then a light colured tile ,If so you may have a slightly larger (wider ) tile even if they are from the same factory this often happens ,the only way to deal with it is to slightly close the joints above the border tile

S

Sharkysharky

Thanks for the welcomes I appreciate it. I'll try to upload a picture first thing in the morning, it's a good thing I'm bald or I'd be tearing my hair out with it LOL. Always the eyebrows I suppose...

A

Alberta Stone

Tiles do vary in size.
I just put some 3 X 6 glazed tiles on a wall and they had a slight variance so I adjusted the groutlines to compensate.
Sometimes it is possible to shave an edge of a tile..depending on the tile of course.
I know with stone I do this a lot as they are never square (lots of slate from India and China) and they are definite rhombus shapes rather than squares, but I prefer to adjust the lines rather than trim if it can be done.
I have had really bad pallets which required me to just lay them as best as possible within lots of grid reference lines placed tight and then I cut the groutline grid with an angle grinder to open them up to size and consistency.

Pictures of what you are running into would be useful to sort your issue out.

A

aph257

sounds to me you have tiles with different sizes, this does happen although i've not seen 4mm difference before. is it the whole column that is bigger or just 1 or 2 above the border. check through your remaining tiles to see if you've got some smaller ones to replace the column. i assume they are ceramic tiles?
Welcome to the forum btw.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
are you sure everthing is 100% level, if the horizontal line is out of level this can cause the line to run out, and could be due to the boarders being slightly different sizes.

Reply to Tile line problems either side of border in bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen