Search the forum,

Discuss Tile line problems either side of border in bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sharkysharky

Hello chaps !

Please forgive me if this is a simple problem but I'm a newbie and this is the first proper tiling job I've ever attempted.

I'm tiling my bathroom and the vertical tile lines line up pretty much perfect either side of the border (the bottoms grouted, I'm currently tiling the top), apart that is, from the one vertical column I'm working on, the right hand side of the tile on top is well over the right hand side of the grout line on the bottom below the border. It's almost as if this particular row of tiles is slightly wider than the other tiles. The left hand side of the column match up fine. Have I dropped a clanger somewhere ?

As far as I can see I've got 2 options, take that particular column off and try again, or ever so slightly sand down the right hand side of the top column to bring it back into line with the same point on the bottom of the border. It'll be about 4 mm slimmer but I don't think it will be noticable. Any ideas from the pros ? Thanks I really appreciate it:mad2:

A

Alberta Stone

Tiles do vary in size.
I just put some 3 X 6 glazed tiles on a wall and they had a slight variance so I adjusted the groutlines to compensate.
Sometimes it is possible to shave an edge of a tile..depending on the tile of course.
I know with stone I do this a lot as they are never square (lots of slate from India and China) and they are definite rhombus shapes rather than squares, but I prefer to adjust the lines rather than trim if it can be done.
I have had really bad pallets which required me to just lay them as best as possible within lots of grid reference lines placed tight and then I cut the groutline grid with an angle grinder to open them up to size and consistency.

Pictures of what you are running into would be useful to sort your issue out.

Reply to Tile line problems either side of border in bathroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.