Discuss Tile Arround or Under Toilet???? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

GoEasy

Hello All,

yet another dilema,

Plumber has just prepared the Bathroom Walls and Floor for Tiling.

I thought I heard him say that he is going to fit the Toilet in Tomorrow; :lol: I am now thinking out loud whilst picturing nice but dim tim, "SURELY NOT, THE WALL BEHIND THE TOILET HAS'NT BEEN TILED YET, HE COULDN'T TILE AROUND THE BACK OF THE TOILET, SURELY NOT".

Think I may just be paranoid, he is very understanding and I have no doubt that he will do exactly as I ask of him. But it would help me make my mind up about which option is the best i.e Tiling Around or Under.

The Tiles are 12mm Thick Marble; The Toilet is a Big and Heavy Close Back.

Should I insist on Tiling Under, which is the better Finish or is there a compromise.

I personally think cutting the Marble Tiles around will be a Nightmare, they just seem soo Brittle.

Please advise.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I would be tiling walls and floors and fitting bathroom furniture after tiling grouting cleaning and sealing has taken place.

B

bugs183

Hiya GE!
Nope you're not being paranoid, get the tiling done first then fit the sanitaryware after.
It would be a nightmare for whomevers tiling to make a decent job of that.
It'll be easier for everyone and you'll have a much better result.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
As above. But besides which. If for whatever reason you need to change the wc in the future it's unlikely you'll match the profile.
Tile under and behind, every time.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Having said that. Its law to fit an isolation value to a wc. Your tiler should be able to disconnect and remove it in order to tile.

Reaction score
Indeed, tell the plumber that you're the boss not him! He's to 1st fix & to fit the bog on his return visit. Or if its in, it should be on an iso valve, so disconnect it and leave it for him to re-fit after.

B

Bubblecraft

As above, always under. Quicker & neater job. Gives you the option to change you pan at a later date if need be

C

Concrete guy

Chances are he's doing a first fix, getting the toilet into position so the pipework can be placed accordingly.

The w/c will then be removed to tile and it's an easy job to put it back in with all the services in the correct position.

Reply to Tile Arround or Under Toilet???? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley