Search the forum,

Discuss Testing UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tay1974

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to test UFH mats by wiring mats to a plug and connecting to a socket?

Thanks
Paul

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend it.

You should use a multimeter to obtain resistance of the heating element & an insulation resistance tester (Megger) to ensure that there are no shorts between live,neutral and/or earth.

The instructions provided with the mat should advise on test requirements

Is the mat already installed?

T

tay1974

Hi Aaron,

The mat is layed on the floor but not installed yet. Problem was that when we opened the packaging we found that the mat had already been cut so obvioulsy used before. I just wanted to test it before putting the SLC over the top.

I ordered a Deviguard last week, but its not arrived yet, so wondered if I could plug it in just to test quickly.

Paul.

PS, customer bought the DEVI even though I suggested the UHeat mats....

D

david campbell

you can pick up a cheap multimeter at b@q or screwfix for testing it,think they are about £12 will check the resistance and this will let you know if the cable has been broken:thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

whilst on the subject, if I may 'but in' lads, Had to 'dig up' part of a floor today which had UFH in part of the floor. Checked the resistance then connected my newly aquired installation monitor from Uheat and left tonight knowing the mat still works!

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

Not sure if that's an insult or compliment:lol:

The mat is layed on the floor but not installed yet. Problem was that when we opened the packaging we found that the mat had already been cut so obvioulsy used before. I just wanted to test it before putting the SLC over the top.

Heating mats designed to go under tiles must NEVER be powered up when not installed in flex adhesive or SLC, the mat may burn out very quickly.

I ordered a Deviguard last week, but its not arrived yet, so wondered if I could plug it in just to test quickly.

I don't think a deviguard will tell you if the mat is good before install, it will advise if the mat is damaged during install. One of our installation monitors does the same job, if not a little better:thumbsup:Underfloor Heating | Installation | Uheat

You will still need a multimeter to check resistance

Paul.

PS, customer bought the DEVI even though I suggested the UHeat mats....

Make sure you bill them for the extra hassle, wouldn't have happened if they'd bought uheat:thumbsup:

Peter:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
you can pick up a cheap multimeter at b@q or screwfix for testing it,think they are about £12 will check the resistance and this will let you know if the cable has been broken:thumbsup:

Absolutely essential for testing of any heating mat or cable

As David has said you should be able to pick one up locally, if not give us a call and we'll sort one out for a good price.

Peter:thumbsup:

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
whilst on the subject, if I may 'but in' lads, Had to 'dig up' part of a floor today which had UFH in part of the floor. Checked the resistance then connected my newly aquired installation monitor from Uheat and left tonight knowing the mat still works!

A satisfied customer, music to our ears:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Problem was that when we opened the packaging we found that the mat had already been cut so obvioulsy used before.

You certainly should not accept a mat that has been used or returned cut...

You/customer purchased a new mat and not a secondhand one....

Where was it purchased...A complaint is warranted here i think..

U

Uheat

You certainly should not accept a mat that has been used or returned cut...

You/customer purchased a new mat and not a secondhand one....

Where was it purchased...A complaint is warranted here i think..

I agree

R

Rob Z

Hi Paul,

I think it is the case (I'm basing this on what my Sparky has told me) that it could be possible for the mat to be connected to line voltage (energized) and with some sort of a fault in the wire, and for the mat to function and to not have the breaker trip.*

For this reason, it is always the safest and surest bet to use the MM to test for resistance and continuity as per the manufacturer's specs that came with the mat. :thumbsup:

I agree with Dave and wouldn't accept a non-factory sealed package. This is a premium product and not a sheet of plywood that someone returned. :smilewinkgrin:

* assumes some set of circumstances for this to occur that might not always be repeatable

T

tay1974

The new mat was delivered this morning and I tested with a multimeter as sugested.

Mat layed now and SLC put over the top. Fingers crossed it is set so I can begin tiling tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.
Paul

F

faithhealer

The new mat was delivered this morning and I tested with a multimeter as sugested.

Mat layed now and SLC put over the top. Fingers crossed it is set so I can begin tiling tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.
Paul

Check it again Paul, before you start tiling, just for peace of mind

T

tay1974

I tested the mat again this morning, afternoon and then again before I left tonight. All ok so far.

Thanks
Paul

Reply to Testing UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen