Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Successfull or not?? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
How many of you out there have made a genuine living out of becoming a self employed tiler after doing a 2 or 3 week course?.

Money isn’t all for me as I am looking to leave a very well paid profession, so the change is more important. Just need to know I can get enough work to feed myself ;-)

I am hoping it would take a year or maybe less to really get things moving.

On the subject of charging and rates etc, does a tile course cover this in detail?

I am looking at going to Swindon for my training.

Thanks again
Pete

OP
D

Dirrty

What a great thread, and honest answers. I have been looking at this site for ages as tile is my next business move, after researching for the last few months. I haven't even been on a course yet ( I can't tile), so wasn't going to post until I had started trading, but couldn't resist throwing my tuppence worth in to this thread. I built a conservatory business from scratch and sold it. Then did the same with a chain of carpet shops ( although I had converted them to laminate flooring when I sold, (caught the start of that trend and rode it!). Then built a fitted kitchen company in six years to four showrooms, a warehouse and a turnover of £4million a year, before selling out. I then had a tyre company and lost £100,000 when it failed......whoops! (can't win them all.....philosophical about it.....but ouch it really hurt lol). Now for tile......

I have to learn the trade and practise it for a while, because that's how I do things, but my goal is to have tilers working for me and eventually to open tile showrooms. Maybe I will do it and maybe not.....but to make this post relevant to this thread.....IF YOU DON'T AT LEAST TRY, YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY NOT SUCCEED! So anyone trying to achieve their goals should be encouraged and applauded, and I think that this is what happens on this site, from what I have seen, ( although nothing wrong with bringing people down to earth with a reality check sometimes, which also happens on here lol).

I have to agree with the comments about success having more to do with marketing and personality. When I opened the first kitchen showroom, it was in a small village, with 3 other companies already trading, and all established. Six years later we had outgrown them ALL. It was all about service, and asking the customers what they wanted, then delivering.....consistently. In any business some will succeed and some will not......I don't see tile as being any different.

So good luck to anyone trying to make it......and to those that don't......try again.

Can't believe I just typed all that.......I need to go and lie down now in a dark room somewhere.......with my headache!

Jimmy

OP
G

GazTech

What a great thread, and honest answers. I have been looking at this site for ages as tile is my next business move, after researching for the last few months. I haven't even been on a course yet ( I can't tile), so wasn't going to post until I had started trading, but couldn't resist throwing my tuppence worth in to this thread. I built a conservatory business from scratch and sold it. Then did the same with a chain of carpet shops ( although I had converted them to laminate flooring when I sold, (caught the start of that trend and rode it!). Then built a fitted kitchen company in six years to four showrooms, a warehouse and a turnover of £4million a year, before selling out. I then had a tyre company and lost £100,000 when it failed......whoops! (can't win them all.....philosophical about it.....but ouch it really hurt lol). Now for tile......

I have to learn the trade and practise it for a while, because that's how I do things, but my goal is to have tilers working for me and eventually to open tile showrooms. Maybe I will do it and maybe not.....but to make this post relevant to this thread.....IF YOU DON'T AT LEAST TRY, YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY NOT SUCCEED! So anyone trying to achieve their goals should be encouraged and applauded, and I think that this is what happens on this site, from what I have seen, ( although nothing wrong with bringing people down to earth with a reality check sometimes, which also happens on here lol).

I have to agree with the comments about success having more to do with marketing and personality. When I opened the first kitchen showroom, it was in a small village, with 3 other companies already trading, and all established. Six years later we had outgrown them ALL. It was all about service, and asking the customers what they wanted, then delivering.....consistently. In any business some will succeed and some will not......I don't see tile as being any different.

So good luck to anyone trying to make it......and to those that don't......try again.

Can't believe I just typed all that.......I need to go and lie down now in a dark room somewhere.......with my headache!

Jimmy
better to regret something you have done...than something you have not ...gr8 post and bob on Jimmy:wink_smile:

Reply to Successfull or not?? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock