Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice on install workmanship in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,

looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local showroom assuming they would have in house installers. They didnt and sub contract out. We have raised concerns countless times and they are now after their final payment. i am not happy with the finish and have said this numerous times prior but they now have the MD involved who came out to look and agreed on some points but not others. we supplied tiles and they charged extra labour for fitting as hexagonal.

list of issues:

we have had an over bath shower fitted, we asked at time if it needed tanking but assured not, looking into the latest BS says should be, they claim they fit 60 bathrooms a year and never tank unless a wet room and keep saying it is fine. is this worth pushing on to get them to re do? was fitted on a pre plastered wall and a new stud wall fitted with plaster board no skim.

the floor and wall have lippage of over 1mm, the tiler laid directly on UFH with no levelling so i assume tiles have slumped as worst are around edges. theyve said will refit these, ive counted 12 tiles at least and not pleased as its my spare tiles theyre expecting to use.

the grout lines are all over the shop, i dont even know what he used on floor as they vary between 1.5 and 5mm
the wall lines are also varied which is acerbated by the tiles chosen as they have grout lines in the pattern so needed to be matched to the 2mm lines in the pattern and looks crap in my opinion.

the tiler claimed tiles were bowed and out of size, so i asked why he fitted them rather then tell us so it could be raised with supplier, he didnt answer and when asked why grout lines were so varied he claimed walls were were bowed again i asked why fit to a bowed wall he told me to take up with showroom he just turns up to fit tiles! the quote did state walls to be skimmed prior but main contractor claimed he only skims areas which are damaged.

The sub floor was chip board which squeaked and moved prior to install, again we asked if that was getting re laid but was assured it wouldnt moved once fixed down, it still squeaks. im peed off at paying 10k plus for a bathroom with poor workmanship. had i paid £500 woud have expected but the install cost was 4k+ of the cost. the other quotes we got had priced for lifting floor and fitting plywood down.

It was supposed to take 2 weeks ended up taking 3 and a half and they rushed towards end leaving obvious faults like sealant with dirt in and sealant with grout showing through, holes in the wall etc.

What would be the best course of action, i really dont want the whole thing pulling out but is the lack of tanking etc going to be a serious problem? should we get this independently reviewed, seen the tile association does inspections but £1200 is way beyond what we can afford now. do we take further or accept?

thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• tiles3.jpg
    tiles3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 92
  • tiles2.jpg
    tiles2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 85
  • tiles1.jpg
    tiles1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 80
  • tiles.jpg
    tiles.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 96
OP
Noodles
Reaction score
Can you take some pics further back. So we get a better idea of tiles and possible errors.
Hope these help. The wall tiles have a grout pattern printed of 2mm lines. The grout lines between tiles are 5mm in places which is really showing due to printed grout lines. Not sure what floor grout line even is as not a single line matches

Attachments

• 0023B4EA-9B93-48E4-B99D-4C5A9DE8ACBA.jpeg
    0023B4EA-9B93-48E4-B99D-4C5A9DE8ACBA.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 81
  • B6AE17CD-3C67-4CBB-BC86-FF8D7EB76024.jpeg
    B6AE17CD-3C67-4CBB-BC86-FF8D7EB76024.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 652474AF-26D2-4466-9354-ADDA4DEBFEF0.jpeg
    652474AF-26D2-4466-9354-ADDA4DEBFEF0.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 44796125-D8A2-4FB8-8358-202215656C47.jpeg
    44796125-D8A2-4FB8-8358-202215656C47.jpeg
    615.6 KB · Views: 78
  • C0F43DFA-AC25-494C-BD18-AC931FA49BCD.jpeg
    C0F43DFA-AC25-494C-BD18-AC931FA49BCD.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 82

Reply to Advice on install workmanship in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock