Search the forum,

Discuss Sub Floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daddy Boots

Refurbishing the bathroom and had a nasty surprise when I lifted the floorboards.
Bathroom
The joists are 7x2 with a couple 7x3 , at 16 inch centres with a 10 feet span.
The pic is the worst notch, 3.5 inches wide and 2.5inches deep smack in the middle of the span, the rest of the notches are 2 inchx2 inch. It's been like this for at least 20years, with no signs of sagging.
I'm planning to install underfloor heating with ceramic tiles on top and the bath will most likely go where the basin/shower is currently installed.
What should I do about the notches ?
Do I need 18mm WPB with extra noggins, 22mm or even 25mm ?
seems to be 3 options if I need to strenghten the floor
1. Attach 5 inch joists to the existing and bolt through
2. Attach metal plates to either side and bolt through
3. Attach metal strips to the underside as suggested in this post by brickeyee:-
Reinforcing floor... - Home Repair Forum - GardenWeb The problem with 3 is the lath and plaster ceiling below has intricate coving and ceiling rose that cannot be disturbed.
The additional support/reinforcement will need to be sufficient to support the ply/10mm insulation boards/underfloor heating mat /ceramic tiles... 450x450mm

Reply to Sub Floor prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen