Search the forum,

Discuss STUNNING!!! got my laser line to actually cut the tiles! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fulabeer

If you have read my Dewalt D24000 thread, you will know i have managed to install a QEP Laser guide laser.
Everything has been great except the batteries didn't last long.
I found i was forgetting to switch the laser off each day.

Looking around the net for better batteries, i came across some super long life versions.
I sent off for them, and when they arrived, i set about fitting them.

However, they appeared to have sent the wrong ones.
Instead of the normal size 1.5v AAs, the had sent some special 12v 10 year smoke alarm type batteries.
I was just going to send them back when it occurred to me that they looked the same width, but about 1/3 the size of a AA.
Curiosity got the better of me, and i tried fitting three of them in the place of one AA.
To my amazement, they fitted perfectly.

I don't anything about lasers, so i wasn't sure how going from 1.5v to 36v would effect it.
I have read that lasers are linear, and that more power just means a brighter beam.
The laser itself doesn't get hotter, just the power supply.
Since i was using batteries, i had no power supply to over heat.

I placed a test tile on the Dewalt bed, and planned to see how much brighter the beam was.
As i switched the laser on, i heard an abrupt "snap" sound.
I thought i had blew the laser, and switched it off.
There was the slightest whiff of smoke, but it quickly disappeared.

I went to move the tile away, so that i could remove the laser.
To my surprise, the tile came away in two pieces.
Looking at the edges, i noticed a perfectly straight edge.
Looking closer, the cut was exactly in the middle of the tile.
I thought maybe i had leaned on the tile, and that by fluke had snapped it down the middle.

I put the half tile back on the cutting bed, and tried the laser again.
Same thing happened. A quick "snapping" sound, but this time i saw the cut line appear.
Again i turned the laser off, and examined the cut.

When i say a perfect cut, i really mean PERFECT cut.
Apart from a slight tinge (that i found wipes straight off), the cut is free from ANY chipping or marks. The edge looks factory made, apart from the glaze finishing which obviously just stops.

I have now tested five different types of tile, and it doesn't make any difference on the type or thickness.
I think what is happening is "thermal shock".
The intense heat of the laser is heating the surface so quickly that the cut line is formed by the tiles surface "micro shattering".
Because it's on a micro level, it is doing the same action that a cutting wheel would do.
I have tried putting other things under the laser to see how powerful (dangerous) it is, and it takes ages to even get a slight burn mark.
I did try a slice of bacon to see how it would burn flesh. Even after several minutes, there was only the slightest of burn marks.

Eventually i decided i needed to test my own hand if this thing was going to be safe for people to use..
Switching the laser on doesn't have an immediate effect.
You do feel a mild heating sensation, but only after about 30 seconds does it start getting painful. Since you only need a second to cut/shock the tile, this means it is safe for normal use.
Why this doesn't effect skin like it does a solid tile is beyond me. If any of you guys know why, please reply here.

It has occurred to me that since you don't need cutting wheels or water baths, the size of our tile cutters can be reduced.
You basically just need a cutting bed, and a overhead laser housing.
Instead of my On/Off switch, you would only need a timed "push once" button.

I'm not sure what to do next.
I have registered the idea on Patents.com before going public, but i believe the costs involved in full Patents are huge.

I'm definitely going to pursue this further, and will post back as i find more.
ANY advice would be very welcome. I'm excited, but also a little afraid that i'm going to mess this all up!

Cheers Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

Nice one, you'll have to get up earlier on april fools day to catch me out mate!! Nice try :lol:

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ha ha ha ha,well that is brilliant,if you need any advice contact me ive been using a laser cutter for about six years now they are awsome and only very cheap from my supplier

S

Stewart

5 out 10.......!

Have spent the morning coaching daughter no.1 on the finer points of April fool's so will be interesting to see how she got's on with her fake sick at lunch time.....

S

Scott

5 out 10.......!

Have spent the morning coaching daughter no.1 on the finer points of April fool's so will be interesting to see how she got's on with her fake sick at lunch time.....

A jar of sandwich spread works everytime :)

Reply to STUNNING!!! got my laser line to actually cut the tiles! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen