Search the forum,

Discuss still confused about depth of wbp in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

patl

There's just too much info here. The more I read, the more confused I get, so please be gentle :smilewinkgrin:

I'm ripping out our existing bathroom that's 3mx3m. The current chipboard floor isn't all in great shape, and most of it is water damaged or covered in old tiles so would just require extra work to remove the old cement etc.

My current plan is to remove the lot, pack the joists where necessary to get it as level as possible and put an 18mm wbp subfloor down in its place. I was planning on covering this with 6mm ekoboard or similar, then ufh, then slc. Depending on how flat it ends up I'll see whether I feel confident of putting the 300x600 tiles down or whether I get a tiler in.

Now I'm starting to think that instead, maybe I should go for 22mm wbp, sacrifice the insulation board and go with durabase-wp or similar. I also wonder whether an extra 4mill of ply really makes any difference in a 9m2 room as long as the ply is securely screwed at 300mm centres.

As the chipboard+tiles are only around 20mm currently, I'd rather not add any more height than necessary, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat.

M

mikethetile

I would say 18mm wbp as a replacement for your 18mm chipboard and overboard with 6mm hardibacker to give the ideal surface to tile to

it really is down to how much deflection you have in the floor but if you brace the floor and as it is a relatively small room you should get away with 18mm

for a larger room with potentialy more deflection I would bump up to 25mm wbp as a belt and braces approach

D

diamondtiling

I think you answered your own query pat, 18mm plus 6mm backer boards is fine.

:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

personally I'd go for 22mm wbp, ekoboard, ufh, slc and then uncoupling membrane, oh and then tile:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

it depends on the size of the room,18mm is the min i would think about but i would add extra noggins and make sure the floor has no movement,if the floor was larger i would be looking at 22mm or 28mm then the 6mm cement boards

P

patl

the trouble is, everything adds to the height, that route takes me to 22mm + 6mm board + 3mm membrane + 3mm ufh + say 5mm adhesive + 10mm tiles = 49mm vs around 20mm currently (ok my current plan is already only 6mm less than this but...), the step is growing.
In the fullness of time, I'll have to overboard the rest of the upstairs to match the height of the bathroom but I'd rather not lose any more height than I can get away with.

W

White Room

Why use themal boards on a timber ply floor, it dos'nt suck the heat out like a screed floor

Reply to still confused about depth of wbp in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen