Discuss Splitface Tile Questions in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sand-man

Hello,

Ok i've recently redone the kitchen and after a wee bit of advice/sanity check.

I have a section of plastered wall 1400x2300 which has been sealed and i plan on putting up split face slate tiles 400x125. The floor is joists with laminate floor.

The info I'm finding is to screw a baton at the second tile row level, tile the wall, wait for it to cure, remove baton then tile first row, is this correct? Or can I can stack these tiles from the floor up, the weight being taken vertically by the tiles below (thickest tiles are on the bottom), done over a period to allow the lower tiles to cure.

This leads me on to my second question, because of any flex in the floor, do I need a flexible joint along the base of the floor, if so, what should it consists of? Or like above just stack them up.

I was at the building merchants looking at Weber set rapid SPF low dust which seems adequate for the job,

Thanks

U

Unused Account 1

I do it that way ,set the wall out ,put baton level at second row level ,let it go off then put the bottom in ,or you can draw a level line ,use laser if have ,and cut the bottom row to the line ,check for level ,then work your way up ,

S

Sand-man

Cheers for replying
I'm liking the idea of cutting the base row to level, so no expansion joint needed between where tiles are at contact with the floor?

S

Sand-man

Cheers p4ulo,

The base tiles will be supporting the weight but still suspended from the floor,

I must be looking at tiling like its brick work, trying to get the weight supported to the floor, as each tile is about 1.5kg

P

p4ulo

All the tiles will be supporting their weight, with a little bit of help from the bottom until they "set-up" with the adhesive. Think of it more like whacking on a thick layer of plaster, it supports itself.

Just looking back at your first post, the plaster board you are tiling onto, when you say it has been "sealed" do you mean you have primed it with a suitable primer for your adhesive.

S

Sand-man

It's an internal load bearing wall with the original plaster coating that's been sealed/primed with zinsser gardz

P

p4ulo

Oh right. I don't know if that will take tile, looks like its designed for painting or wallpapering onto. Maybe check with their support dept, before you sand it off and re-prime.

S

Spare Tool

If the floors level as Paulo says lay spacers or wedges to give a small joint, if not id fix a level batton and cut floor in after..if your using Webber should really have primed with their pr360 but owts better than pva, id use Webber slow set plus for fixing...hate rushing about with rapidset!!

S

Sand-man

So after a 8 minutes on hold, spoke to zinseer tech dept, who's advising that the sealer should be adequate to take an adhesive,

Also checked the technical data sheet for Zinsser Gardz (Clear, water-based, acrylic resin sealer) and Weber pr360 (styrene acrylate).

Reply to Splitface Tile Questions in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks