Currently reading:
Site Work Rate.

Discuss Site Work Rate. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
Must be a bit of confusion or mis understanding but our site work tends to be more in the shop fitting sector as oppose to construction sector. And there is very very high standards of workmanship in this area z(

I'm more on about the shop fitting sector as oppose to the construction sector. Fit out companies we work for seem to have extremely high standards as they do a substantial amount of repeat business for blue chip companies on the high street.
New stud walls constructed with tin (no bends) plumbed by lasers built by multi skilled tradesmen. In my eyes if it's not acceptable it doesn't get tiled!. Because as soon as you put a tile on its your responsibility!.

Don't get me wrong it's not alway like that but a lot of the time it is.

I can agree with the shop fitting side of what you are saying I was working for shop fitting company's for years and I was even a partner in one for 10 years doing Next stores. Bruntwood office fit outs. Grosvenor group etc, but like all things there are bad ones out there and shopfits have a short shelf life to especially the larger companies.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Agreed, agreed, agreed. Some builders I've done work for on refurbs wouldn't gave a clue on prep.
I only did a small stint on sites. Personally didn't like it. But that was for a bovis. Every other site or developer will no doubt fair better or worse.
What disgruntled me was the toilets and basins were fitted loose and I was expected to slot round everything. Plumber wouldn't remove it, site manager wouldn't make him and despite having all the gear to do so plumbingwise they wouldn't let me remove them.

We do what we do ultimately to earn readies. If I could knock out coverage like deano and other site guys are doing then damn straight I'd he on site.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
@deanotile do you reackon you could do same meterage over a month in domestic house than you could on site? I doubt it very much.
Why can likes of me and @deanotile do site work quicker @AD Ceramics???
because you have clearer areas, flatter walls, better floors!. And what's with 10,000 ha ha ha ha s. I wasn't making a joke!.

What do you know about my work and what I do or have done, how much I can or can't do. It's not just about how much you can throw down in a shop or a restaurant Quality first and foremost the work I do is open to scrutiny that just isn't possible in a quick turn around shopfit.
Any muppet can put a metal stud up and get it flat them tile it quickly.

S

Simon benn Leeds

What do you know about my work and what I do or have done, how much I can or can't do. It's not just about how much you can throw down in a shop or a restaurant Quality first and foremost the work I do is open to scrutiny that just isn't possible in a quick turn around shopfit.
Any muppet can put a metal stud up and get it flat them tile it quickly.
Your missing the point mate, I'm not questioning your work at all.
I'll put it this way then,
A domestic customer has a bathroom skimmed, looks great (to the customer) ready to tile, tiler turns up puts a straight edge on. Total abortion!.. Where's the plasterer? Paid and gone, is he going to come back?. Doubt it. Your left to put it right.
A building company has a bathroom skimmed and its an abortion, is the plasterer going to come back? Yes he is!.., in the meantime you have moved into another plot, no hold ups no messing about.
And just because you can tile fast doesn't mean your work rough, that's just down to each tiler.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
Your missing the point mate, I'm not questioning your work at all.
I'll put it this way then,
A domestic customer has a bathroom skimmed, looks great (to the customer) ready to tile, tiler turns up puts a straight edge on. Total abortion!.. Where's the plasterer? Paid and gone, is he going to come back?. Doubt it. Your left to put it right.
A building company has a bathroom skimmed and its an abortion, is the plasterer going to come back? Yes he is!.., in the meantime you have moved into another plot, no hold ups no messing about.
And just because you can tile fast doesn't mean your work rough, that's just down to each tiler.

I do get it thought you was pigeon holing me as a domestic tiler, I don't do domestic work all new build and commercial when required, and on the the developers work if it ain't prepared right I rip it out and charge them for the pleasure and if needed I will sort and charge them again for the please and will continue to charge them for the pleasure if they want me to do their work, at the moment there is plenty of work for good fixers.
And I used to be fast and rough if you must know.....then I lost my speed damn it!!!!!!

S

Simon benn Leeds

I do get it thought you was pigeon holing me as a domestic tiler, I don't do domestic work all new build and commercial when required, and on the the developers work if it ain't prepared right I rip it out and charge them for the pleasure and if needed I will sort and charge them again for the please and will continue to charge them for the pleasure if they want me to do their work, at the moment there is plenty of work for good fixers.
And I used to be fast and rough if you must know.....then I lost my speed damn it!!!!!!
Not at all mate, I have had domestic tilers come to site and there arse has fallen out just with the sheer volume but when they get goin they have loved it!.
A good tiler can tile in a domestic or site or whatever, Mr and Mrs smith might be elderly who need everything to be spotless, dust sheets everywhere not start till 9, be done for 3 and work extremely tidy and clean (not all site tilers will do that)
whereas Mr "river island' might need 400mq2 in a week, (not all domestic tilers can do that) so will invest money to get the right preparation so this can be achieved.
Each to their own but I think site work is easier (no at getting paid mind) but just my opinion.

G

Gazzer

I think the OP was asking to the rates but its all gone off on a tangent .....anyway, rates will vary across the country. They will also vary in your area but geneally not my that much. Obviously I would have thought the splashback on ba sic houses would be the lowest but then you wouldnt really do that on a M2 rate more a day rate. Around here a m2 rate can be anything between £10 and £20.
Recently I have worked for 5 contractors and the rate wasnt far apart for the work that Deano is doing....Bathrooms, kitchen floors etc. It seems to be a boom period...at least around here as I could go from one contractor to another at the moment and always be busy....oh and yes, earning good money too.
For me what i look for when saying to a contactor that i will be regular with them is....They do their bit, materials on site, pay day rate if job not ready, pay on time and generally not mess me about. For that they get a reliable tiler working to their standards.
So , last 2 weeks I worked for a company which are usually great but I got the feeling they only gave me work to keep me there, I was earning not a lot and jobs werent ready quick enoough for me. Usually this same company is giving me some real nice work but I guess at that time there wasnt anything ready so they gave me the dreggs just to keep me on their team. Then I get a call and start for another company. I have done 3 days for them, I have done a nice job, everyone happy and i am offered more work. In that time i earned more than working for previous company in 2 weeks !
Sure I like private work, more relaxed and generally you have the place to yourself. but it can hve its downsides, not all private work is flat walls and floors etc, its usually " Oh my mate can plaster so he did the walls" yeah you can guess the rest !
Anyway I could go on about the ins and outs of site work but its what suits you, I understand that some think its low quality and yes some can be, but this isnt were I am at . As far as I am concerned I am doing a very nice neat and tidy job and getting paid nicely for it.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
That seems very low to me.. I'm in Reading and do domestic only im getting £40 plus a m double what I sas getting in 09..

It's up to you Sean, depends what sort of money you want to earn and if you want to kill yourself for it ?? I'm not a fan of site work but each to there own.. Good luck God bless

What seems low? £40psm is the lowest I'm at with private/domestic work.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Highest we can get around here is around £35/40 m2 ,and that's if we are lucky , and I mean lucky as if the devil himself was sat on my shoulder , that's domestic And that's stone, porcelain and ceramics £25 up to £30, site work I ain't sure.

I priced one last week, I put it on here, I put £40m2 , for boarding, ufh, slc and tiling.
I was far to expensive he has gone for elsewhere I think, he must want a cheap job to go in his £400 grand house (which up here,is a big house) :)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Highest we can get around here is around £35/40 m2 ,and that's if we are lucky , and I mean lucky as if the devil himself was sat on my shoulder , that's domestic And that's stone, porcelain and ceramics £25 up to £30, site work I ain't sure.

I priced one last week, I put it on here, I put £40m2 , for boarding, ufh, slc and tiling.
I was far to expensive he has gone for elsewhere I think, he must want a cheap job to go in his £400 grand house (which up here,is a big house) :)
Bet he doesn't take his car to a backstreet joe, I never can can get my head round why someone would pay top dollar for tiles and then want them fitting for peanuts

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
@AliGage think you may may have mis read my post.. £40 per m for ceramics is at the higher end in Reading... My post was not to flex my muscles and puff my chest out !? Simply to support Sean in his session making... I believe rates/prices are subject to region and detail.

Wasn't flexing my muscles at all if that's what you are implying.
Simple question of what it was you were saying that is "low"

M

mattle40

What sort of meterage was that on? It's scary to think that is "far too expensive"

T

The D

The price pm2 of domestic work has always been about double what you get pm2 on a housing site. This does not mean in a year a domestic tiler will earn double what a site tiler earns.
Part of the reason site work is less pm2 than domestic work is the continuity of the work on site then there is the volume of work.
The fact you can set up and cut inside the house and you don't have to concern yourself too much about protecting your surroundings is also a factor.
With site work the tiles and adhesive are dropped outside the plot by the forklift so you don't have to waste time with trips to the supplier loading and unloading tiles and adhesive.
Also site tilers don't have to spend hours going out on the evenings to quote jobs and run backwards and forwards with samples .
Add in the fact on site work you generally have flat walls ,floors and empty rooms. All this makes it easier to fix more m2 per day.
So over a year a site tiler will earn just as much if not more than a domestic tiler.
There is the added bonus to site work that my tax is already payed so i will be looking forward to a good fat rebate not a tax bill at the end of the year.

M

mattle40

For me, I'm happy in my domestic work. I like the design side, giving ideas. I can work at a relaxed pace, i enjoy the interaction and the handover when I give them a bathroom, kitchen, hallway etc they love, There's a lot of job satisfaction in that for me and I think I'd lose interest in tiling without that side of it. Tiling is hard enough when I'm in a good frame of mind and enjoying it, it's a whole different ball game when the interest is gone.
Credit to site guys tho, I could physically do it but mentally, I'd be looking in the jobs paper after a couple of weeks lol

B

bcd-87

QUOTE="AliGage, post: 788098, member: 33317"]What seems low? £40psm is the lowest I'm at with private/domestic work.[/QUOTE]
The price pm2 of domestic work has always been about double what you get pm2 on a housing site. This does not mean in a year a domestic tiler will earn double what a site tiler earns.
Part of the reason site work is less pm2 than domestic work is the continuity of the work on site then there is the volume of work.
The fact you can set up and cut inside the house and you don't have to concern yourself too much about protecting your surroundings is also a factor.
With site work the tiles and adhesive are dropped outside the plot by the forklift so you don't have to waste time with trips to the supplier loading and unloading tiles and adhesive.
Also site tilers don't have to spend hours going out on the evenings to quote jobs and run backwards and forwards with samples .
Add in the fact on site work you generally have flat walls ,floors and empty rooms. All this makes it easier to fix more m2 per day.
So over a year a site tiler will earn just as much if not more than a domestic tiler.
There is the added bonus to site work that my tax is already payed so i will be looking forward to a good fat rebate not a tax bill at the end of the year.

Very true.. To read it through like that really puts it perspective

Reply to Site Work Rate. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement