Currently reading:
Site Work Rate.

Discuss Site Work Rate. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

Thanks for that Deano, I looked at yr pics last night and thought that was good going for brown floor tiles and a few brown wall tiles........then I zoomed in and saw the beige tiles too!! (was looking at it on a mobile).

Maybe you could charge tilers a few £££ to watch you tile. 'A day with Deano'. Very impressive.

Maybe start a new 'Quickest job of the month' comp?

I wouldn't even make £100 a day sadly. When I did site work a few years ago I actually got locked in on site for 2 hours. I did not realize everyone else had gone home. The security man was nowhere to be seen, but he eventually appeared.
A standard plot for me is around 13-14 m2 fixed and recently been able to grout up most if not all same day, as ali said maybe its how you have approached your career mate

T

The D

Job today 25m floor started 7.00 finished tiling 11.30 grouted by 12.30 bish bash bosh

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
A standard plot for me is around 13-14 m2 fixed and recently been able to grout up most if not all same day, as ali said maybe its how you have approached your career mate

Good to know Mr T. Well done, as I know you have not been tiling all that long.

Thinking about it, there is a lot of time wasting (not intentionally) on residential jobs. When the customer keeps talking, when you have to sheet up in the morning and tidy up at night, when the sparky wants to drill holes in the ceiling and the chippy wants to stick on the architrave etc etc.

I did a job a few months ago when the customer was on holiday and there was no other trade on site. It's surprising what can be done when there are no interruptions.

I can see now how £16 psm is not a bad price.

M

Mr Tiler

Mate im usually fixing over the plumber while the sparky is above me fixing the downlights lol. Yeh it takes longer on private jobs i think we base our private jobs on an average of about 3 days but the same amount of m2 cAn be atcheived in one day on site. Ive laboured on plenty of private work and done a load of my own jobs to date now too sean. Bieng on site helps like you say mate it helps you be fast.

M

Mr Tiler

That's why site work is great for getting you quicker at tiling...
You Can't wait to get out of the bloody place in winter..
Only thing that pulls me towards private jobs is that sweet holmley smell of bacon on the go, and then actualcy bieng offerd one... But majority of the time you are just left dribbling with your crappy sandwich in your hand unless its someone you know then you can shout the odds lol

M

MTiler

Site work is generally a lot easier due to having areas clear and being well prepared, i.e new walls, flat floors and more overall meterage, this is why it's normally reflective in the rates. Plus I normally bung the site labourer to load the tiles out in every room and get rid of my waste!.

Thats so funny. ' areas clear and being well prepared, ie new walls, flat floors' best joke Ive heard all year pmsl. ;)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Site work is generally a lot easier due to having areas clear and being well prepared, i.e new walls, flat floors and more overall meterage, this is why it's normally reflective in the rates. Plus I normally bung the site labourer to load the tiles out in every room and get rid of my waste!.

I just went past a site local to me last Monday and saw my plasterer there. He doesn't work on new build but subbys for a company who snags on new build. He was doing a ceiling for me on Wednesday and I asked him what he was doing there, bearing in mind nobody has even moved into these houses yet. He said some of the plastering is so bad he's already having to go round sanding walls and ceilings and this is in £300-400k houses. I know these are being painted and not tiled but I wouldn't want to be spending that much on a house. These are things you can see, imagine the stuff you can't see!!!!

M

Mr Tiler

I just went past a site local to me last Monday and saw my plasterer there. He doesn't work on new build but subbys for a company who snags on new build. He was doing a ceiling for me on Wednesday and I asked him what he was doing there, bearing in mind nobody has even moved into these houses yet. He said some of the plastering is so bad he's already having to go round sanding walls and ceilings and this is in £300-400k houses. I know these are being painted and not tiled but I wouldn't want to be spending that much on a house. These are things you can see, imagine the stuff you can't see!!!!
that is the same situation on the sites i have worked on

gamma38

TF
Bedford
New builds are a joke. The overall standard is shocking. I have redone quite a few new builds after only a couple of years use. Water ingress, shoddy workmanship etc. Price work on sites leads to one thing only, standards dropping as people just do things too quick. I'm not knocking people who can tile quick as these are few and far between. But generally speaking not all quick tilers can tile either. It's a numbers game that's no good for anyone.

T

The D

wow that is a big insult. I can only say that there are bad tradesmen on both sides of the fence. I have seen some very very poor workmanship in the domestic market far worse than anything i have seen on site. A lot of the work is carried out by people that would not last five minutes on a construction site but they can pull the wool over mr and mrs joe public's eyes because they don't know any better.

I can work in any situation commercial industrial or domestic as can most of the lads on site but you lot that can only work in the domestic market wether it be because you don't have the skill the qualifications or the inclination think you are above the rest because you work in a house that is lived in please don't make me laff.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Nail on the head!
Of course there's deadlines to hit and budgets, and don't we all want to earn money fast? But there's standards to meet too and unfortunately, far too often, they fall a long way short. It happens in all trades but I think finishing trades should be put under more scrutiny personally. I'm talking new builds mainly here
Think you will find it's the finishing trades that have to put up with everyone else's shoddy work and 9 times out of 10 gets the blame for it !!!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
wow that is a big insult. I can only say that there are bad tradesmen on both sides of the fence. I have seen some very very poor workmanship in the domestic market far worse than anything i have seen on site. A lot of the work is carried out by people that would not last five minutes on a construction site but they can pull the wool over mr and mrs joe public's eyes because they don't know any better.

I can work in any situation commercial industrial or domestic as can most of the lads on site but you lot that can only work in the domestic market wether it be because you don't have the skill the qualifications or the inclination think you are above the rest because you work in a house that is lived in please don't make me laff.

Just saying that when you are spending that amount of money on a new house you would expect it to be close to perfect, you wouldn't accept a new car with scratches in the paintwork all over it.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
My comment wasn't meant as an insult.. If you took it that way that's up to you..as for your provoking and assuming comments, I have worked on site and commercial and made it pay. I choose to do what I do.
I have redone several jobs on new builds. Fact. If you re read my post I said some people can tile quick but not all quick tillers can tile. I would say from comments regarding your work Deano your the former.
As above as well, new house, that much money, you don't expect it to be badly put together. But they are.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
@deanotile I wouldn't take it as a personal insult deano. It's just the way things are at the moment, and you're right there's poor standards on both sides of the trade. This forum will stand testament to that. We've seen plenty of home owners come on here with complaints.
@John Benton I completely agree. If I was spending the sort of money that's asked for these homes you would expect perfection.

There is a clear difference between the two aspects of the trade.
But you get bad tradesmen on both sides.

The problem lies within the attitude and mentality towards the job. With any trade or job, if you cream the price down and put the fixer, developer, builder under pressure corners will be cut. But with site work I wouldn't put that on the head of the fixer, the house builders should be doing more to ensure a quality of finish worthy of a half Mil price tag

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha
Don't make me larf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clear areas!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flat floors!!!!!!!!!!!!
New walls flat!!!!!!!!!
Omg never and the jobs I do are one off mansions for a developer for footballers and wealthy people. The only thing in common is probably the muppet clueless site agents.

T

The D

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok this is what we do day to day and the cliants are always happy or we have to go back and re do it until they are.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Unlike the domestic work where getting a tiler back after the job is finished and payed for is a nightmare. we go back for up to two years.
I'm not interested in you or anyone stroking my ego because my tiling is just the same as the other 20 tilers that work for this firm I am just defending the integrity of site tilers. I would be interested to see pics of the substandard work in the half mill houses that are in your area

Attachments

• image.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 28
S

Simon benn Leeds

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha ha ha ha ha ha aha aha aha aha ha ha ah aha aha
Clear areas!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flat floors!!!!!!!!!!!!
New walls flat!!!!!!!!!
Omg never and the jobs I do are one off mansions for a developer for footballers and wealthy people. The only thing in common is probably the muppet clueless site agents.
Must be a bit of confusion or mis understanding but our site work tends to be more in the shop fitting sector as oppose to construction sector. And there is very very high standards of workmanship in this area z(
Clear areas!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flat floors!!!!!!!!!!!!
New walls flat!!!!!!!!!
I'm more on about the shop fitting sector as oppose to the construction sector. Fit out companies we work for seem to have extremely high standards as they do a substantial amount of repeat business for blue chip companies on the high street.
New stud walls constructed with tin (no bends) plumbed by lasers built by multi skilled tradesmen. In my eyes if it's not acceptable it doesn't get tiled!. Because as soon as you put a tile on its your responsibility!.

Don't get me wrong it's not alway like that but a lot of the time it is.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Co.Durham
I have put more work right that's been done by domestic tilers than I have site tilers.

It's the same whether you are domestic only or contract only or both , there are good and bad , some house builders aren't fussy , but some are a lot pickier than a domestic customer who wouldn't know a bad job if it bit their ***'s lol..

Just my take on it and please keep it friendly lads.. :)

Reply to Site Work Rate. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement