Discuss Silicon choice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

ir50

Just finished tiling a bathroom in travertine. The grout used was Bal Jasmine. I started using Bal Jasmine silicone sealant only to be told by their tech support that none of their Bal silicone sealants are suitable for travertine due to the fact the acid content eats the stone :yikes: So spent next hour removing all the good work :mad2:. Would appear I need a neutral cure low modulus. Mapei do an LM product but it's proving difficult to get hold of. Any other suggestions?

In addition, would colour is best to use around bath and basin etc...jasmine or white?

Q

Qwerty

Mapesil LM is available from most Tile Giant stores. Personal preference with regards to colour, I tend to use coloured grout on bath etc with real stone

D

dobragol

Just finished tiling a bathroom in travertine. The grout used was Bal Jasmine. I started using Bal Jasmine silicone sealant only to be told by their tech support that none of their Bal silicone sealants are suitable for travertine due to the fact the acid content eats the stone :yikes: So spent next hour removing all the good work :mad2:. Would appear I need a neutral cure low modulus. Mapei do an LM product but it's proving difficult to get hold of. Any other suggestions?

In addition, would colour is best to use around bath and basin etc...jasmine or white?

For me the best silicone for natural stone is OTTOSEAL S70 Premium Natural Stone Silicone available in 46 colours including stone like textured finishes and even 9 matt colours.You can get it online with next day delivery from Sealants Online.

I

ian158

For me the best silicone for natural stone is OTTOSEAL S70 Premium Natural Stone Silicone available in 46 colours including stone like textured finishes and even 9 matt colours.You can get it online with next day delivery from Sealants Online.

cheers for that info

I

ir50

The Tile Giants I tried only stocked the AC not the LM. Have now ordered the Ottoseal.

Thanks for input

beanz

TF
Reaction score

I don't suppose it comes in clear does it? I absolutely hate using coloured sealants on chrome shower panels, or glass!! Been trying to find a clear neutral curing LM silicone for a while.. ;-/

I

ir50

I don't suppose it comes in clear does it? I absolutely hate using coloured sealants on chrome shower panels, or glass!! Been trying to find a clear neutral curing LM silicone for a while.. ;-/

Yes it does.

Don't rely on the next day service. Ordered mine early yesterday morning and I'm not likely to see it before Monday at earliest!

T

tweakyboy

It should be alright using the Bal mastic, I have used on my shower area on travertine and on floor/skirting board junctions and haven't had a problem. It's only when its curing that the acetoxy is released. The majority of silicones have acetoxy unless you specifically get acetoxy free silicone.

Hope I don't have a problem! :yikes:

Its been in over 6 months with no signs of staining when wet/dry!

*Runs off to double check there isn't any staining.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tweakyboy

does this still affect the stone after sealing ?

I'm only guessing, but I think once its sealed it doesn't affect it. Well in my case it hasn't stained, I put on around 3 coats of LTP Matt stone.

I think its more of a belt and braces thing using LM silicone, in this instance thankfully it hasn't caused me a problem!

I

IHB

Lithofin Stain Stop says it doesn't protect Marble or Limestone from acid. I've used Dow 785 & Mapei AC on Traventine and Limestone without any issues but I'll be using the Ottoseal that Dobragal linked to for the Marble I'm putting in the bathroom at the moment.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Every stone job (mostly Trav) my mate has done, has been with AC Silicone, and every single one has moulded. Not sure how quickly they moulded, as we only noticed when going back to do other work (usually at least a couple of years later). I'll be using Ottaseal from now on. ;)

T

tweakyboy

Every stone job (mostly Trav) my mate has done, has been with AC Silicone, and every single one has moulded. Not sure how quickly they moulded, as we only noticed when going back to do other work (usually at least a couple of years later). I'll be using Ottaseal from now on. ;)

The silicone has been mouldy?

Reply to Silicon choice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay