Search the forum,

Discuss Shower Tray type/base and installation in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

D

davey-j

Hi,
I am installing a shower tray 1400x800 in a space the bath used to be. There are various pipes that sit above the floorboards which I can't really re-route.

I wanted to ask can I build a solid wooden frame secured to the floorboards and to the joists and ply over the top, then put the tray on top of this?

Also what type of tray would you go for, stone resin , acrylic etc as there are mixed reviews on the cheaper ones, or are the acrylic ones okay?

How would you secure this to the ply if its possible to do so I.e use a concrete mix??
Thanks for any help much appreciated.
Dave

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
I've not come across many pipes that can't be moved. Just the lack of wanting to move them!
If you don't move them you can make a structure, like you mention. Use good quality plywood and screw everything.
As for trays. Use a quality resin capped tray. These stand knocks more then the foam core type. All will chip, of somthing heavy or sharp,is dropped.
You can use sand and cement to bed the tray. But I find whenever I take one out the cement adheres to nothing. Better option is to use powdered tile adhesive. Prime the ply first. Then, for belt and braces, tank the shower out before tiling.

Last edited:
D

davey-j

That's a nice polite way of saying stop being lazy and re-route my pipes haha!
Fair enough!
I think I'll take a look at moving the pipes but failing that will build a frame.

You say take the tray out before tiling? wouldn't you leave it in and tile down onto the tray and then silicone?

Thank you for the reply

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry. That's a typo!!
Meant to say " tank" the shower out. As in waterproof the internal area of the shower.
Will edit.

D

Dumbo

Even if you reroute pipes I would still take out floor boards and put ply back in place before fixing shower tray

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you might have to have a raised shower tray anyway because of the waste/joist positions. You can get riser kits with the shower tray that come on adjustable legs with a plinth to finish.

J

Just Rizzle

this week and last weve been revamping an ensuite shower room and bathroom if we had to lift the shower tray above the existing pipes the shower tray would be 13 inchs above the floor,
weve ripped every pipe out replased the old tank with a 210 ltr unvented hot water system which gives us 3 bar pressure all round weve tanked the whole rooms and fitted new bette shower trays flush withe the floor tiles which weve tiled under and fitted German style as well as a bette bath again fitted German style will get some photos and let you guys see when we finish.
the wall and floor tiles are a dream 900x450

Reply to Shower Tray type/base and installation in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen