Search the forum,

Discuss Shower surround substrate in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am retiling a shower, one of the walls is plasterboard and removing the old tiles has damaged it. I am planning to remove all the tiles and cut the plasterboard out.

Tiler has suggested using plasterboard as it will be tanked before the new tiles. New tiles won't be heavy etc so no need for cement boards.

Plumber* has said I'd be better to use ply/ marine ply?! As if there ever would be moisture near it,it would cope better than plasterboard.

I'm inclined to go with the plasterboard from reading on here. Also think it would be easier joined to the adjacent piece of plastered plasterboard. Cheaper .

Is this my best option of the two? For clarification purposes!

Reaction score
When I replace the plasterboard I asume I tape the joint and use a bit of filler over to blend into the new piece. If the filler blends into where the tiles will be in asuming this isn't a big deal? Very little just to smooth it in before tiling

F

Flintstone

We all know what happens to wood when it gets wet or near humidity even, avoid! It's been abolished this year from british standards for wall tiling. Plaster board is fine and a bit of filler feather wont be an issue

Reaction score
I'm thinking plasterboard for cost and ease of joining to the original but I know what you are saying about the cement board and will be using it on the next project!

For reference in that situation if I was going to use cement board joining to plasterboard do I just tape the joint and fill it the same as regular plasterboard ?

W

Waluigi

keep in mind the stud spacing of a foam board, often the spacing is down to 300mm on your vertical studs.

Reply to Shower surround substrate in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen