Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Should I remove plaster (browning) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

what

Could someone help me with this?
I need to re-tile our bathroom which entirely covered floor to ceiling with 6" ceramic tiles.
There a two external walls covered in some sort of browning and the other walls are ordinary plaster board.
The browning is detached from the wall where the existing shower/bath is over a large area (sounds hollow when tapped) and only the tiles are holding it up at the moment, other areas which are not subjected to water ingress from the shower are sound.
My question(1) is given that this is a bathroom which is subject to condensation, should I should I remove ALL the browning, not just he damaged area and replace it with a cement mix plaster.
My other question(2) is should I remove all the plaster board also and replace it with cement board.
To save time time and effort I am tempted to just tackle the damaged area and just tile over the existing tiles where it appears sound.
I don't wish to do anything that is totally unnecessary, but I don't want do something I would regret later.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Knock it all off and reboard it all.
Dot and dab solid walls and screw partition walls.
If you are tiling it all no need to skim.
Tank the shower area before tiling , then tile away.
For the sake of a few quid its better boarding it all

W

what

Thanks for the replies
But what do I re-board with - Is it cement board not plaster?
What do you mean by tanking - best method?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just everyday half inch plasterboard ,8x4 sheets , or 6x3 if you want to make it easier .
For tanking kit I use tilemaster tanking kit, there's loads of different ones though, look about ont nett :)

W

what

Just everyday half inch plasterboard ,8x4 sheets , or 6x3 if you want to make it easier .
For tanking kit I use tilemaster tanking kit, there's loads of different ones though, look about ont nett :)

Hi widler / impish
I looked at the tilemaster tanking and paste kit instructions PDF, it seems straight forward. How much tape is included?

Thanks for the help and great advice, I shall proceed as directed.

W

what

Thanks
BTW--
What's the most civilised way to remove previously tiled plaster board without bashing through and damaging the the plaster board on the the other side of the stud wall.
In my situation the the other side is above the stairs,just newly decorated and difficult to access.
Is there some technique that is generally used, or is it just careful brute force.
It occurred to me that I should remove more or less all the tiles first, maybe with an sds hammer drill (on rotation stop) using a tile removal chisel then prise the boards off the studs.
What's the usual way?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personally id just make a hole inbetween the studs and yank away , carefully ;) you shouldnt danage the otherside , its quite tough

Reply to Should I remove plaster (browning) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks