Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss sealing travertine mosiac floor in wet room in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

aussie tiler

I am tiling a wet room that will have pitted and porous 50mm x50mm mosiac travertine to the floor.The tile supplier has advised the client to seal these tiles.I have never done this before.sealing that is in a wet area I believe a penetrating only sealer should be used,The grout would obviously fill all the imperfections and I would usually leave it at that.Has anybody got an opinion on this as I would leave it.The problem here is the client has seen them sealed and likes the enhanced apperance but I am almost certain that this type of sealer is not designed for wet areasThanks

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi, impregnate with either a colour enhancing product or standard prior and after grouting, David is so right ,no topical finishes in wet areas.

All impregnators will be suitable for wet areas or external, just make sure you remove all excess at both stages. Would strongly rec impregnator ,for your benefit at installation and for the client to maintain the surface once complete

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Nothing adds clarity quite like a double negative! Or should I say anything doesn't add.

what is not to understand? , stone should be sealed for maintenance of tiles . So simply grouting and leaving at that isn't sufficient IMHO , don't you agree ? Or am I misinterpreting your point .

Reply to sealing travertine mosiac floor in wet room in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks