Currently reading:
Sealing Quarry Tiles

Discuss Sealing Quarry Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Do modern clay quarry tiles need to be sealed. If so with what (They are to be out doors but undercover - occasional minor wetting) If they do is it best to seal before grouting.

If they don't need sealing or you can't seal them outdoors how do you prevent the grout from staining the tiles. They have slightly rough textured face so I can imagine cleaning off grout afterwards will be a nightmare but if that is what needs to be then so be it.

Thanks for the ongoing advice.

J

jay

hi ajax123 you can seal but depends on tile do they have a glazed surface ( do they change color when wet water obsorbtion) if so i would recomend an impregnator as to retain non slip qualities of tile dont recomend topical sealer down here recomend natural grey grout sanded as colored grouts tend to bleed or bleach color due to weather conditions more than likley you should seal before grouting to make it easier for you hope this helps (good post on underfloor heating spot on ):8:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
hi ajax123 you can seal but depends on tile do they have a glazed surface ( do they change color when wet water obsorbtion) if so i would recomend an impregnator as to retain non slip qualities of tile dont recomend topical sealer down here recomend natural grey grout sanded as colored grouts tend to bleed or bleach color due to weather conditions more than likley you should seal before grouting to make it easier for you hope this helps (good post on underfloor heating spot on ):8:

Hi Jay.

No they don't have a glazed surface. Not too worried about a colouchange. It would be nice if they came up shiny like they are when they are washed. I am using a charcoal coloured grout and the tiles are a mixture of red and black.

Thanks for the advice. Alan

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
as Jay really Alan, if they're unglazed I'd use an impregnator on the face of the tile. If for outside, you'll need a flexi addy and modified grout too:thumbsup:(I'm sure you already knew that tho!)

Thanks Doug. Had not thought about modified grout but makes sense. What type of sealer should i be looking for.

Reply to Sealing Quarry Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.