Discuss Seal or no seal travertine first in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

simonb43

Hi, fitting travertine tiles to bathroom walls and floor, and travertine mosiacs as features at shower controls and sink taps. Have read on hear about sealing before grouting and some say NOT to seal. Opinions on this please, as to whether i should seal BEFORE grouting or only after. Normally, i would do both. Thanks

M

Mike

i posted the same thread last week, some do it before or/and after, it depends on the type of stone and what the manufacturer recommends. if it needs filling and you seal it first then the grout may not adhere to the stone and on the other hand you could stain the stone with the grout if grouting before sealing. hope this makes sense :thumbsup:

S

simonb43

That makes total sense Mike, will be using limestone grout, but think i will go ahead and do it the way i've always done it, unless anyone else has an opinion

T

Time's Ran Out

We have a small bathroom floor in hand with travertine mosaic. The tiles will be grouted first, then sealed when thoroughly dry. This way the grout will adhere to the holes in the mosaic.

T

The D

do it! no no don't do it! yes yes do it! no don't do it yes yes yes dooooooooooo it.*

M

Mike

That makes total sense Mike, will be using limestone grout, but think i will go ahead and do it the way i've always done it, unless anyone else has an opinion
what make is the limestone grout? i used the mapei ultracolour limestone 2 weeks ago and it looked really dark when wet, i was worried that it would stain the unsealed limestone but it cleaned up fine and dried a nice light colour. i've used granfix limestone a while back and it was horrible to use, really gritty.

Reply to Seal or no seal travertine first in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay