Search the forum,

Discuss scratched worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jamie B

after all these years finally got caught out.
tiled a splashback on monday in a newly installed kitchen, as usual everything covered and protected. Grouted (in the dreaded black!) and started to clear away. As a last thing I wiped over the tops with a clean sponge and water...either out of tiredness or stupidity ( or both!) didn't see the sponge had picked up a 'chip' of tile and managed to put a lovely scratch around the "u" shaped worktop.....:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:
Spent today phoning every repair co. under the sun and unfortunately because it's a high gloss finish worktop, everyone has said it needs to be replaced.
So that's sink/gas hob removed (gas fitter/plumber required!), worktop out, 2 mitres on new one and sink/hob cut outs...and then whatever remedial work is required to the tiling.
..so tomorrow I'll have to claim on my public liability....
The worst thing of all is the damn embarassment of making such a stupid mistake..you feel such a pillock saying 'I'm really sorry..it's never happened before'..what a bummer!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

U

united

:oops: :yikes: feel Sorry mate. Mistakes happen. The worst I have done so far is smash a £65 toilet seat :mad2:

D

david campbell

ouch! will it not just be the section you have scratched i.e replaced from the mitre?
at least you have public liability:thumbsup:
it is getting more difficult with the high gloss worktops:thumbsdown:

J

jamie B

ouch! will it not just be the section you have scratched i.e replaced from the mitre?
at least you have public liability:thumbsup:
it is getting more difficult with the high gloss worktops:thumbsdown:

Unfortunately for me I managed to 'swipe' the sponge over all 3 pieces of worktop:mad2: so the lot's gotta come out...I'm always SO paranoid with high gloss stuff as well..you only have to look at it and it marks:yikes:

J

jamie B

have you tried wd 40 or has the scratch gone too deep for that

it's not really deep,
tried a small amount of t cut with no joy:incazzato: i've seen people use wd 40 to remove mitre mate etc. from worktops..what does it do for scratches?

S

SandyFloor

Bad news there but that's what insurance is there for and I sure you won't let it happen again. I don't think anything can be done for glossy worktops.

I learnt the hard way about grouting over solid wooden worktops many years ago. The client insisted I had his polythene sheet protecting it which I agreed to through naiviety. Of course when I washed it down the grouty water got under the polythene and stained the surface even though it was oiled. I didn't get paid for that one as he got someone in rub down the surface and re-oil. He can't have been too upset as I got further work from him. Could have been much worse. Now I have no sheets when grouting and work very cleanly.

J

jamie B

Bad news there but that's what insurance is there for and I sure you won't let it happen again. I don't think anything can be done for glossy worktops.

I learnt the hard way about grouting over solid wooden worktops many years ago. The client insisted I had his polythene sheet protecting it which I agreed to through naiviety. Of course when I washed it down the grouty water got under the polythene and stained the surface even though it was oiled. I didn't get paid for that one as he got someone in rub down the surface and re-oil. He can't have been too upset as I got further work from him. Could have been much worse. Now I have no sheets when grouting and work very cleanly.

yeah fell foul of an oak threshold as an apprentice..water staining and an afternoon in the dog house!:lol:

Reply to scratched worktop in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen