Currently reading:
Sandstone floor

Discuss Sandstone floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

Hi guys and girls.

I have a sandstone floor to quote for, 40 mtrs in total in a sub basement,
tiles are 25mm thick +/- 2mm so a little bit of variation. Sizes are 1000x600 and 550x750, there is a manhole that needs doing as well. Its on a 65mm sand/cement screed which is over ufh laid in the concrete floor, all heat testing done. I am supplying the materials so what would you charge?, its ages since I did any sandstone, the last one was very brittle. I have a price of £40 per mtr in mind plus materials, because of a bit of building up I will put in 13 bags. He is leaving the pattern to me but only has a 10% waste allowance built in. I am putting this up to double check my figures, I am sometimes told I am too expensive but my excuse is I have 4 girls in my life with expensive lifestyles (missus, kids and granddaughter) :lol:

Cheers mateys.

PS; its in London so I will be away.

£40 m2 sounds very reasonable, as others have said though, don't forget your X's and travel, sounds trivial but it will all count against your profit. I would build something into the quote about level of the floor etc, if you haven't seen the job already.

In case you haven't seen the site. Daltile have some excellent tile patterns, 1 tile up over. Good luck :thumbsup:

LINK

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Not sure on the price but following some questions via PM here is my 2pence halfpenny worth....You should not tile unless the heating has been commissioned and run even with a green screed addy. 40 square meters meets the BS but in my opinion it is too big to be safe. All one heating zone helps with this though cos there will be no differential expansion and contraction. If the 40m2 proves too big any defficiencies will probably become apparent when the heating is switched on and run. The curing helps to gain early strength and to prevent shrinkage cracking so this too will become apparent as will any issues with lack of compaction. I assume the surface is not dusty which would indicate dessication (premature drying) If any cracks do appear I would be inclined to consider very carefully uncoupling. I know it is more costly but it becomes a much more fail safe option where the screed is not perfect.

D

diamondtiling

Update.
Customer rang today and wants the job to proceed. He had two quotes of £15 and £18 per metre plus one at £90 a metre, two others around £30 per metre.
I got the job because he likes what he reads on this forum and my quote went into more details than the others. It just goes to show that there are people out there that do not just go on price alone.
He also has a bathroom, en-suite and another stone floor to price for......:hurray:

Going to Enfield on Monday.

Thanks to Alan (Ajax) for all the screed technical info, your help swung the job my way.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Sandstone floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.