Currently reading:
Removing adhesive from between tiles

Discuss Removing adhesive from between tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
This is why i back butter every time and not the walls.

You should be able to tile to walls without doing this. There's a way to keep clean as you go, and you just need to clock it. back-buttering when not required is a lot of time wasted. And I don't think that's just my opinion. Try to get out of that habit mate. Checkout some tilers tiling walls on youtube and how quick they stick them on.

If you have a tile on the wall, your next tile should be pressed into the wall whilst touching the first one. Then you use (and I quote british standards I think when I say this) "a twisting and pressing action" to easy the tile onto the wall and into place, leaving the desired spacer gap.

What this does is cause the suction that normally causes oozing out of the grout joints to actually be sucked into the backing of the tile and out of the side your twisting it towards. So then you have to simply clean that side up, the bit not near a tile yet, with a sponge if required, and then copy the motion on the next.

You can even do this when you have a full row you're tiling on top of, and have the row you're currently tiling along on the wall. In this case, you place the new tile sitting on the last row, and touching the tile on the current row. And as you twist and press, you move the tile up and away from the tile on the current row to your desired spacer requirement.

Try it, it works. ;) This is also meant to leave 80% coverage on the back of the tile, the minimum for walls, though in wet areas if my memory proves me right I think it's 100% (might be 80 - 100% - anybody confirm that?)

Another thing is this; if you back buter every tile and don't apply adhesive to the walls, you will end up using grout in the voids. Grout costs more per KG than Adhesive. Not wise.

Reply to Removing adhesive from between tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this notification but what was the out come at the end as I have just had a xylophone installed and...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.