Search the forum,

Discuss Quarry tiles (I think) for the thousandth time of asking... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

neilgilmour

Hi Guys, great forum you've got here. I was searching for help restoring quarry tiles and ended up here for hours last night reading everything.

So - I'm no tiler, I teach canoeing and climbing for a living. We've just moved in to an old farmhouse near Whitchurch in North Shropshire, and when I pulled the manky carpet tiles off the kitchen floor (and after a day of removing adhesive) I found the floor in pic 1.

I'm guessing these are very old quarry tiles. They are about 3cm thick, and seem to be laid on sand (although I read in another post this could have been lime). What can I do to clean them up and preserve them? Should I grout them, or just leave as is? Can I seal them? The mrs is starting up a catering business from home, so ideally for food hygiene it needs to be a sealed surface which can be mopped down.

Thanks in advance, and if you want to go climbing anytime, I'm your man!

Neil

Attachments

• Last Import - 1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Last Import - 2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Last Import - 3.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Last Import - 4.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Last Import - 5.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 52
W

wetdec

Hi

Ok looks like a very old engineered tile similar to the engineer brick you see on old houses. The condition throws you a bit as they are either seriously ancient or they were made antiqued the latter is the less likely as they did things propper in them days.

Because of the way the surfaces appear using an acid would likely do more damage so an alkali (limestone cleaner) would be your best bet...

The bombshell is because of the condition excessive pitting etc they are unlikely to pass it for a food prep area but thats my opinion and you may already know different.

E

enduro

Here is one im going to be doing in the next few weeks, i used Aqua Mix Heavy Duty Tile & Grout cleaner, the only thing you have to be careful of cleaning These old floors is, if you add water to them you could draw out the efflorescence in the tile and this will need to be sorted before sealer is applied.

Attachments

• floors 008.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 64
  • floors 009.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 50
F

Floor_Restorer

I love quarry tiles!

I totally agree with enduro in saying that you have to be careful when cleaning as over applying water/cleaning solutions will draw out mineral salts/efflorescence if you are not careful. Also, be careful with the tiles/finish you go for as you are probably aware that your floor has no damp-proofing at all.

Don't use a surface sealant (such as LTP Ironwax) on a floor with no damp-proofing unless you 100% certain it is dry. A surface sealant may cause more problems as it caps the floor and stops it from releasing natural moisture from underneath. I know this from bitter experience in the past! The surface sealant will peel like an old varnish on damp wood.

If you are putting new tiles down, then why not take up the quarry tiles put a DPM and screed down to stop any issue of damp? You could always re-use the quarries or sell them to a reclaimation yard and reduce your costs? Tiling over the top as David Campbell (above) says is not best practice and may cause more problems in the future. Also, quarry tiles from 1830 need to be preserved (my opinion).

Hope any of this helps?

Tom

Reply to Quarry tiles (I think) for the thousandth time of asking... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.