Search the forum,

Discuss Putting spacer between first tile and kitchen work top to allow for movement of work top in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

If you leave a 2mm spacer gap as suggested by the member for Essex, then in my opinion it allows a 1mm covering to tile and worktops = 4mm of silicone visible.

tis true.....
upload_2016-11-4_14-7-58.png

Sorry...... I really am that bored!

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I use Rubi wedges to lift the first row. 1-2mm off the worktop. The diagram Paul has done shows why, the silicone goes under the tile giving a far superior seal than if its just sat on the face of the tile

L

LM

Many years ago I never bothered, but there was an occasion on a site that the kitchen fitter mixed up the work tops in ajoining houses being fitted at the same time. He was a really likeable chap and I'd just tiled both kitchens with metros when the mistake was noticed. Both worktops had to come out, which meant the bottom row of tiles also had to come off. If I had of tiled with a spacer below then there would have been enough wriggle room for the wotktops to come out without much disruption. As I felt sorry for the fitter I did the repairs for free to help him out and since that day I've always tiled off the worktop with a spacer below, even with metros. It costs us nothing and apart from the obvious implications of exspansion it might just help some chap out some day.

Q

Qwerty

Many years ago I never bothered, but there was an occasion on a site that the kitchen fitter mixed up the work tops in ajoining houses being fitted at the same time. He was a really likeable chap and I'd just tiled both kitchens with metros when the mistake was noticed. Both worktops had to come out, which meant the bottom row of tiles also had to come off. If I had of tiled with a spacer below then there would have been enough wriggle room for the wotktops to come out without much disruption. As I felt sorry for the fitter I did the repairs for free to help him out and since that day I've always tiled off the worktop with a spacer below, even with metros. It costs us nothing and apart from the obvious implications of exspansion it might just help some chap out some day.

I wish other trades were so considerate! :D

I

Italy

SAME

Reply to Putting spacer between first tile and kitchen work top to allow for movement of work top in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen