Search the forum,

Discuss ply question !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

just a quick question ! wot would you guys do if you arrived to price a floor job and it had recently been plyed with lets say 6mm ply ?:8:

S

smurf21

tell them its not good enough for floor tiling it has to be 18mm ply or they can take it up and use 6mm tile backer board but not 6mm ply:ban:

D

diamondtiling

Explain to the customer that it really is not an adequate surface to tile on and why, explain the benefits of no more ply, ask what is underneath the ply, tell them that if the surface is not of sufficent strength and holding power then it will affect the integrity of any tiles that will be put onto it, do they want future problems? If they are after a top class floor then they will listen to you and accept your proposals.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

i'd tell them it is worse than straight on to chipboard and explain why and then suggest the benfits of backerboard or correct size ply.

U

uptonboy

got to explain reasons and get it up, then strengthen with the or correct gear

C

CBTC

At pricing stage tell them it's not enough. If it comes to it and I'm not suggesting its what to do nowadays, or to the standards, but when I started with my 1st boss, his method was to fit 6mm ply over boards (we did the work to sure boards were sound, all fixed down,and not deflecting) and he'd have me put a ton of 3/4" ring shanks in. Then we'd tile. Rarely went wrong actually, and did my first home job in this way long ago. Stayed good for years. At a push, if no budget to change, and the strength is there in the subfloor, its domestic - and you actually want to do the job - suggest you beef up the fixings to a 75 mm grid and use Ditra.

D

doug boardley

At pricing stage tell them it's not enough. If it comes to it and I'm not suggesting its what to do nowadays, or to the standards, but when I started with my 1st boss, his method was to fit 6mm ply over boards (we did the work to sure boards were sound, all fixed down,and not deflecting) and he'd have me put a ton of 3/4" ring shanks in. Then we'd tile. Rarely went wrong actually, and did my first home job in this way long ago. Stayed good for years. At a push, if no budget to change, and the strength is there in the subfloor, its domestic - and you actually want to do the job - suggest you beef up the fixings to a 75 mm grid and use Ditra.
but ditra will only be good for lateral movement, not vertical "bounce" that you'll get with 6mm ply

Reply to ply question !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen