Currently reading:
Please advise of the best tanking system

Discuss Please advise of the best tanking system in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tradesman

Hello all,

I am a tradesperson but do not know a great deal about tanking for a wet room -I've done a lot of research but remain undecided. I was going to go with the BAL WP1 system but TOPPS no longer sell this and are now pushing the BAL Waterproof plus instead ( a trowel on type plaster). Would anybody recommend this. Also my research has brought me across the Ardex system which seems ok. The Webbers system seems a good product - but with all of these the proof is in the pudding. So I am hoping somebody with experience can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

L

lizzardtong

I do like ardex as you can mix it thicker to fill holes and then normally to aplly with roller/trowel. Do like a texture of it its handy if you got itchy hand ;) with mapei aquadefence system i dont like their tapes as once you will stick it to flat wall and go over with rubber it creates bump i think it would work well with tapered edge plasterboards as it will fill the gap.

Haven't use mambrane system yet so cant comment on it.

P

p4ulo

Yeah, BAL are phasing out the WP1, and at the recent TOPPS trade-evening they were showcasing the new BAL waterproof plus. Twice as much coverage, twice the price (I think about £80 per tub??) It looked like good stuff though, and the difference they said between that and the membranes was same max tile weight as the substrate you go onto.
Personally, SCHLUTER stuff on a roll is awesome. Easy to work with (as long as you can wallpaper), looks very professional and impressive to customer too. Expensive, you can buy it per metre from TILEFIX or LIILEY STONE and TILE.
The Kerdi-Coll stuff you stick the edges together with is pretty nasty stuff, sticks to everything (that's the idea I know) and goes off pretty quick too.
Good luck.

Reply to Please advise of the best tanking system in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement