Search the forum,

Discuss Please advise of the best tanking system in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tradesman

Hello all,

I am a tradesperson but do not know a great deal about tanking for a wet room -I've done a lot of research but remain undecided. I was going to go with the BAL WP1 system but TOPPS no longer sell this and are now pushing the BAL Waterproof plus instead ( a trowel on type plaster). Would anybody recommend this. Also my research has brought me across the Ardex system which seems ok. The Webbers system seems a good product - but with all of these the proof is in the pudding. So I am hoping somebody with experience can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

I

Ian

There are quite a few systems about, membrane types and the liquid ones that you speak of. The ardex one is very good but being a 2 part, can get a little messy! My 2 favourites are the weber and the tilemaster ones, both perform very well and even an inexperienced user will find them easy to apply.

O

Old Mod

I quite like the Bal one, haven't heard of Bal Waterproof plus though...
Isn't that just the new big tubs they're pushing Mark, about 8kg or something?

All the systems mentioned are good, a lot is down to personal preference.
If u want really simple tanking, it's available on a roll too!
Schluter and Homelux are just two of the available systems.

W

White Room

Isn't that just the new big tubs they're pushing Mark, about 8kg or something?[/B]

All the systems mentioned are good, a lot is down to personal preference.
If u want really simple tanking, it's available on a roll too!
Schluter and Homelux are just two of the available systems.

Sounds like a price increase then:eek:

L

lizzardtong

I do like ardex as you can mix it thicker to fill holes and then normally to aplly with roller/trowel. Do like a texture of it its handy if you got itchy hand ;) with mapei aquadefence system i dont like their tapes as once you will stick it to flat wall and go over with rubber it creates bump i think it would work well with tapered edge plasterboards as it will fill the gap.

Haven't use mambrane system yet so cant comment on it.

P

p4ulo

Yeah, BAL are phasing out the WP1, and at the recent TOPPS trade-evening they were showcasing the new BAL waterproof plus. Twice as much coverage, twice the price (I think about £80 per tub??) It looked like good stuff though, and the difference they said between that and the membranes was same max tile weight as the substrate you go onto.
Personally, SCHLUTER stuff on a roll is awesome. Easy to work with (as long as you can wallpaper), looks very professional and impressive to customer too. Expensive, you can buy it per metre from TILEFIX or LIILEY STONE and TILE.
The Kerdi-Coll stuff you stick the edges together with is pretty nasty stuff, sticks to everything (that's the idea I know) and goes off pretty quick too.
Good luck.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I always thought the WP1 kit was too big. What's a domestic user going to do with 8kg of the stuff?

P

p4ulo

I always thought the WP1 kit was too big. What's a domestic user going to do with 8kg of the stuff?
Use twice as much I guess.....its trowel on now as oppose to paint on so I guess it won't go as far?? It is big mind.....and I quite liked that fibreglass sheeting you got in the old kit, I don't know if that still comes in it???

Reply to Please advise of the best tanking system in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen