Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazebo

I have used it over a wooden floor, the floor must be sound. My customers floor was chipboard, all anchored under bathroom furniture. I had to keep a low threshold so plastic ply at less than 2.5mm height was perfect. At the price (cheap) and ease of use (it's got stickyback clear plastic you stick it down with – kneel on it you will glue you to the ground very strong, easy to cut with knife), and ease to carry (comes small packs you can carry under your arm, very light, you lay them down brickbond) I think it’s good gear.
I used BAL APD prime on top of the chipboard just to ensure a dust free starting surface. I used flex addy to fill in the top of the plastic play (its lots of small diamonds), then you tile away! ... won the TTA product of the year award. Quick, easy, cheap strengthening and decoupling.
(it’s not used to strengthen or flatten the floor)

Above you say cheap strengthening and decoupling, but then go on to say not used to strenghten...... which one is it..????????

G

grumpygrouter

Ithink the name is putting the trade of,if you have masive deflection yess use 18mm ply, but you will fined the ply will move on the joint and crack the tile on the lenth of the ply sheet,why becaues thair is no give it is to ridgid,cut plastic ply into strips to cover the joint this would allow movement under the adhesive.
What i am saying is the standerd bathroom job 4/5 m2 floorboards have been down twenty years, if the floor was going to deflect it would have done by now.:mad2:
Isn't deflection in a timber floor caused by the movement of the occupants weight acting on the joists and boards? I don't see what the length of time the floor being down has to do with that. If you have sucessfully used Plastic Ply as a decoupler then carry on using it. Me personally, I can't get my head around the priciples it is try to put over so it will not be on my shopping list nor will I recommend it to my clients.

G

Gazzatile

Interesting Discussion with good points from both corners. If we did not move forward with new ideas tiling would be done with sand and cement, having said that I can not get my head around plastic ply and will stay with my tried and trusted methods

G

Gazzer

Wire mesh... roofing felt... all been done mate..:lol:... but c,mon .. honestly you can't be telling me NMP is the NEW over boarding for timber substrates..?

So do you use an S2 adhesive with it then onto floors boards.. what about chip board floors..?

Why are you referring to NMP ( No More Ply) I see this thread to concern Nicobond Plastic Ply ???..... 2 Totally different things to avoid confusion....Also this NEALE isnt me :smilewinkgrin:

D

DHTiling

:oops:.. Still supplied by same comp though isn't it..

NEALE... can you link me to some Data that shows Plastic ply combats Floor deflection please..?

R

Richard Edwards

I agree with Dave on this one. P/ply from Nicobond will not solve lateral or vertical deflection issues. I've looked at it loads of times in my local N&C Depot and have yet to use it. I will one day when the right task emerges. Until then - I will continue to use lux / cementous / hardie boards even paying the price for increase in floor height.

N

NEALE

Dave can you show me some date on plywood for lateral movement?
Wood exspands and contracts, plywood or eny other solid overboarding product which is fixed to floor boards which as you know is nailed to the main support,the main support exspands and contracts,where the two sheets of plywood or eny other solid board meet you will have movement which will crack the floor tiles hope this helps.
Data on Plastic Ply, look on Google ?:thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

Dave can you show me some date on plywood for lateral movement?
Wood exspands and contracts, plywood or eny other solid overboarding product which is fixed to floor boards which as you know is nailed to the main support,the main support exspands and contracts,where the two sheets of plywood or eny other solid board meet you will have movement which will crack the floor tiles hope this helps.
Data on Plastic Ply, look on Google ?:thumbsup:
but that's why we should leave a 2mm gap between them Neale to combat movement (and obviously use flexible adhesive).

N

NEALE

But if movement it allowed to happen under the adhesive,which i think Plastic Ply lets happen, this must be a good thing not to just rely on the adhesive to take the stress of movement?

Reply to Plastic ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen