Search the forum,

Discuss Plaster Coming Off With Tiles. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Beez

Hi, I am taking tiles off my bathroom wall and all the old grey plaster is crumbling and coming off as well. The house was built in 1967. If I clean this off thoroughly can I tile on the breeze block underneath. If so would I need to prime it first and what with?
Many thanks for any assistance, Beez

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd take the opportunity of adding a layer of wedi board for insulation and waterproofing.
You can of course tile onto the blocks using a primer of similar elk to the adhesive.

B

Beez

Thanks. When you say a primer similar to the adhesive, would pva mixed with water do? I am using Unibond Adhesive.

T

Time's Ran Out

Ilk - similar to the type - if using Tilemaster use their primer.
As for pva - no .

S

Stef

Dot & dab plasterboard & tank it or put Wedi or similar on it & tape the joins for a waterproof seal if it's a wet area.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi, I am taking tiles off my bathroom wall and all the old grey plaster is crumbling and coming off as well. The house was built in 1967. If I clean this off thoroughly can I tile on the breeze block underneath. If so would I need to prime it first and what with?
Many thanks for any assistance, Beez

As above plasterboard dry areas & wedi board any wet areas

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Dot n dab p board .. Give yourself a good surface to Tile on
Tank the areas that would be wet.

Reply to Plaster Coming Off With Tiles. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen