Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Opus Romano in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Alberta Stone

This floor is a Peruvian limestone/travertine and it looks like the opus pattern.
It didn't have a name for it on the boxes.

Attachments

• Job pictures 003.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 56
W

wetdec

This floor is a Peruvian limestone/travertine and it looks like the opus pattern.
It didn't have a name for it on the boxes.

Its not Peruvian limestone its Scabas Travertine.

See this is where the problem lies, Travertine is a limestone composition as it comes from lime solution bubbling up through hot springs and streams. When its in its full form then it is labelled travertine. The same can be said for marble its limestone, (some where it says the word marble means "to take a polish") which is what marble is limestone polished.

Its a bit like calling a car a tin........its made of tin......but is called a car.

The biggest reason for the problem....... The first 2 widely available travertines in the uk were called classico and colliseum, classico was the colour we see most often now and colliseum was blonde........they were both sold by 1 distributer...... as trav got more popular other distributers had to retain the mistique and maintain prices so you got names like ligurian limestone, bizantine, peruvian limestone........now you understand can you see it......:yes:

A lot of you guys ignore my question about what the name of or what a stone looks like when you ask advice..........its important as you dont treat a limestone like you treat a travertine................anyone that doesnt ask is guessing,,,,,,,!!!!!!

.. tiler:thumbsup:

B

BDS

I agree with wetdec if i`m remotley unsure i`ll always ask,cos as GazTech will tell you i`ve just ripped up 60m2 of marble and replaced with travertine,cos the guys who put it down never sealed it and it was covered in stains/residue and crap i think the more you understand the tiles/products/methods the better you and your skills become and your name will be around your tiling communtity your customer who`s the important one will be over the moon and will recomend you all day long to anyone and everyone

A

Alberta Stone

I actually have a box of pieces of that particular floor which I found in the shop storage and it states:
Natural Travertine Marble- Rustic
Patio Pattern
Stones from Peru
Product description:
Natural tiles produced in Travertine marbles of extraordinary hardness, blended in selected colors and with the best rustic finish.
-install with white thinset
-may be assembled with or without grout spacing
-if desired the natural holes that show on the surface may be filled with the thinset mortar or grout
-tiles may be used for floors and walls, interior or exterior
So I was wrong about it being limestone, it is travertine and it is then mislabeled on the box .
I can attest to its hardness as I cut the pieces and it was much harder than the epoxy filled and polished travertine which I put on the wall in the same pic.
I only posted the pic as it was something which was in the same pattern, but a different stone and I thought it would add some more substance to this thread.:yes:
travertine:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Formed from millions of years of sulfuric mineral springs percolating through Limestone deposits, Travertines offer earthy, old-world elegance and exude warmth and beauty in a variety of applications. [/FONT]
marble:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A metamorphic stone, Marbles are formed when the Earth’s pressure creates enough heat to fuse millions of years’ worth of calcified deposits into stone which is characterized by beautiful colors and dramatic veins.
limestone:
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A sedimentary stone, Limestone has been used throughout the centuries as a popular building material. Limestones range in color from gray to buff with some pastel shades of pink and yellow, neutral shades that integrate perfectly with current color trends.[/FONT]
So marble, limestone and travertine are all in the same family, but have undergone different geological conditions which give them their variations.
Thus they need to be treated a bit differently.

W

wetdec

You got it m8..............

The reason its so hard............. its not common like the lights that everyone wants so they are still working the quallity blue/red veins which make up Scabas/Scabos

As a rule the unfilled trav is higher quality and better marked than the filled as it has to hold itself together. The filled stuff can be **** and when its filled the fillers hold it. You see this with commercial trav the holes can be really big on the back.

Honed Travertine quality can be based today on the actual quality of the fillers they have in them as some of it is really bad.

Peru has some very good travs and limestone, 2 of them have been in the fofront of the uk market for around 8 years but no one knows it. As a rule if it comes from Peru or Italy its good quality stuff as they are not hammered like the turkish markets. They are not common in the uk as the producers promote in Coverings in the USA and few uk distributors go there.

-if desired the natural holes that show on the surface may be filled with the thinset mortar or grout

This bit is interesting as fixers in the us who want an unfilled look seal the trav before they grout the lines in with a release sealer. When the grout is cleaned off and picked out it doesnt stay in the voids because they are sealed and have no grip.

Hence...........you dont seal unfilled travertine before you grout :yes:

tiler

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bluebhuoy

Thanks for all the assistance and advice guys, at least I know where to start from now. :thumbsup:

Reply to Opus Romano in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks