Search the forum,

Discuss Opinions needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

Hey folks,

Ive been looking in on the forum every now and then forthe last few months.

I am now in a position where Ii need some advice. I have my first few floors to tile soon. My client has decided that he wants to purchase Unibond tile and grout tubs from B&Q.

i ADVISED HIM TO BUY TRADE PRODUCTS FROM A TILE RETAILER PREVIOUSLY.

Can you give me your opinion on the UNIBOND STUFF?

WILL I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO USE?

HOW CAN I TALK HOM OUT OF IT, AND SELL THE TRADE STUFF TO HI?

I am not a tiler but, hopefully a tiler in training. I am half way through a tiling course at college which, will last around a year. This is why my product knowledge is not great.

Any info would be welcomed and appreciated.

regards

Kris

G

GazTech

Unibond wall adhesive will stick ceramics...but it is more expensive for them to buy than trade tubs from tile suppliers.....Gaz

T

tfs

Thanks Gaz,

Would you be in a position to reccomend alternative brands?

I have approx 18 msq to lay and he wants to buy large porceline tiles.
----
also, I will be tiling a floor

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Do not use tubbed gear on porcelain tiles..especially large ones....use a flexi powdered adhesive, and seen as you are new to tiling i would advise a slow setting one so you have plenty of time to work with it....BAL single part flexible or similar.....don't let the customer dictate what to use......

G

GazTech

Thanks Gaz,

Would you be in a position to reccomend alternative brands?

I have approx 18 msq to lay and he wants to buy large porceline tiles.
----
also, I will be tiling a floor
If they are large porcelain on walls...tubbed adhesive will not do ! it must be powdered stuff with porcel bond technology applied for the stuff to stick to tile....make sure the walls are in good condition to take the extra weight of tiles.....Gaz

G

grumpygrouter

Hey folks,

Ive been looking in on the forum every now and then forthe last few months.

I am now in a position where Ii need some advice. I have my first few floors to tile soon. My client has decided that he wants to purchase Unibond tile and grout tubs from B&Q.

i ADVISED HIM TO BUY TRADE PRODUCTS FROM A TILE RETAILER PREVIOUSLY.

Can you give me your opinion on the UNIBOND STUFF?

WILL I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO USE?

HOW CAN I TALK HOM OUT OF IT, AND SELL THE TRADE STUFF TO HI?

I am not a tiler but, hopefully a tiler in training. I am half way through a tiling course at college which, will last around a year. This is why my product knowledge is not great.

Any info would be welcomed and appreciated.

regards

Kris

Hello Kris, this is a bit from another post I made in another thread, this may give you the answer for your customer -

Sounds a bit like my first attempt at my kitchen floor before I became a "proper" tiler.

I used unibond stuff from B&Q straight onto chipboard. was only down a couple of years. I removed the tiles in less than an hour and litterally swept up the adhesive as it had pretty much turned to powder. Overall with the removal, good cleaning and reboarding with my 9mm ply -all pilot drilled at 200mm centres- i was ready to tile by the end of the day. 6hrs in total!

Funny now when I think of it. If only I had researched a bit before I dived in eh!

Since doing my training and contributing this to this forum, I never again will use "DIY" stuff for the likes of B&Q or Homebase....Ever Ever Ever!!!!

Grumpy

T

tfs

Hi Grumpy,

Was that not more likely to have been due to laying onto chipboard?

The mosit will get sucked right out as the chipboard would act like a sponge.

I am deffo a bit apprehensive about working with the Unibond, I will propbably try to talk him into using something else or offer to supply my own grout and adhesive

I still welcome much more commenets on this subject should anybody want to share thier views

regards

kris

F

Fred

Starting a job monday. 600x600 porcelain floor tiles. Got Mapei white rapid set flexi 20kg bags for 14 pounds, now tell me unibond etc can beat that price for a superior maker.

Reaction score
mapei all the way for me....kerraquick is suitable for porcelain...don't go with the unibond, you'll only regret it...if the customer has a computer..show him/her the result to your query..good luck with the job..Mark.

Reply to Opinions needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen