Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Opening up the Rubi / Sigma debate again.........sorry! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Daz

Okay, I've always been a Rubi kind of guy but......

I feel it's time to purchase a cutter to handle the increased amount of 900'ish mm tiles I'm seeing and don't want to waste my hard earned, so I'd appreciate your comments and recommendations please.

Thanks,

Daz

W

White Room

I bought a Sigma 900mm max but felt I got to much bounce when breaking the tile so changed the handle for Klick Klock which I have been happy with.

It's the variation of handle which makes the choice a little more difficult but as a Rubi man a push handle will suit better which as I was the same I chose to push rather than pull.

D

Daz

Thanks WB, I don't know too much about the Sigma range so what is the Klick Klock handle, please?

D

Dougs Third Go

here you go Daz
[video=youtube;2nW-4i7CX44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nW-4i7CX44[/video]

D

Daz

Okay, I played with a Sigma 600 size cutter today and it certainly takes some getting used to.
Has anyone converted from Rubi or left Sigma to Rubi that can give me their opinions please?

S

Stef

I used Rubi for years & bit the bullet & went to sigma, best cutters I have used.
It does take a bit of getting used to as you can't see straight down the line if trying to line up two marks but once you have this sorted then they are great cutters.
I bought the max series cutters as I had tried a pull cut & didn't like it but the max series is brilliant.

D

Daz

Thanks Stef.
Have you replaced all your Rubis with Sigmas or do you still use both manufacturers?
i can't afford to replace my small and medium cutters too so will have to mix and match if I go the Sigma route....is that likely to mess with my technique?

D

Dougs Third Go

I used Rubi for years & bit the bullet & went to sigma, best cutters I have used.
It does take a bit of getting used to as you can't see straight down the line if trying to line up two marks but once you have this sorted then they are great cutters.
I bought the max series cutters as I had tried a pull cut & didn't like it but the max series is brilliant.
how do you sort it Stef? I'm seriously thinking of replacing my nearly worn out Rubi's for sigmas.

S

Stef

Thanks Stef.
Have you replaced all your Rubis with Sigmas or do you still use both manufacturers?
i can't afford to replace my small and medium cutters too so will have to mix and match if I go the Sigma route....is that likely to mess with my technique?

I had a ts40 & 60 (which I sold to Ash) & a TR400.
I've still got the 400 & have used it once in the last year, bought a Sigma 2G that's getting easier to use (it's a pull cut)
I used a TX700 last week & it's still as easy to jump between the two makes.
I wouldn't go back to Rubi as I love the sigma, cut is so smooth & once tile is scored you flick up the handle to bring breaker down & flick down on handle to snap tile in the one movement..

M

Mr Tiler

i was wayyy towards the sigma when i worked with neal it was amazing, but after using the tx 700's they are just as good as each other tbh... so whichever you can find for the cheapest snap em up lol

S

Stef

how do you sort it Stef? I'm seriously thinking of replacing my nearly worn out Rubi's for sigmas.

Doug I line up the bottom, closest, mark to me on the measure bar & move the top mark accordingly with my eye line, it's hard to describe.
I move the top mark about 1mm or just a bit more & can hit the mark bang on every time, it took me a couple of weeks before I got the real hang of it though.
Others might use a different technique but this works for me.

D

Daz

I guess I'm gonna have to chat with Dave at Tradetiler as he always sets me on the right path :lol:

S

Stef

I guess I'm gonna have to chat with Dave at Tradetiler as he always sets me on the right path :lol:

Dave will see you right.

My boy, whom I've just got shot of, still couldn't line up a tile on the sigmas after a year & a half, to be fair he would never have made it as a tiler as he just didn't have it..

Reply to Opening up the Rubi / Sigma debate again.........sorry! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks