Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Old Post Counts - And why they change in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
It has come to my attention again that post counts are being questioned for being too low, or not what some members expected.

There's no conspiracy around it.

The forum recalculates post counts every now and again. And it will count only those that are online and active the day it counts them.

So for example, if a forum category has been erased (we had a drill category once, and a trusted advisors forum once, and moderator forums have been erased and recreated as new staff come on board) and I haven't first shifted all the threads somewhere, they will get erased too.

Each individual forum post has a number, the last post I made was this one: JOTM 2019 - JOTM Winner Badges - Those who have them still - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/jotm-winner-badges-those-who-have-them-still.89607/#post-954704

And the number for that post is 954,704. (look in the URL/link/address bar to see the post number). It's the 89,607th thread to be created too. That's the other number there.

However the forum is reporting that right now we have 856,130 total posts.

1567433844190.png

So 100,000 posts have been erased over the years. And staff posts, or posts of the members who have been here the longest, are clearly going to be the ones most affected by changes over time.

So there isn't anything going on here. We don't alter post count numbers. And personally I don't much care for them at all. You will notice they have gone from the post areas now and you need to click on a name to get the pop-up info card thing to see post counts these days.

I hope that makes sense to everybody. And gives you some closure on losing some post counts.

At the end of the day, it's a number on a tile website on the internet somewhere, and it isn't connected to your heart beats per minute or anything actually important in life.

I'm not altering post figures for anybody - it screws up lots of things doing that, as well as making them fake.

Hope you all get that. :)

Last edited:
OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add.

62,994 threads the forum is reporting. Yet the last one was around 89,600. So thousands of those have been erased over the years too.

Never actually thought of how much before now!

I bet a bunch were spam. And another bunch members posting after some pop. I bet some were accidentally deleted by me and / or new staff. Or system changes and post errors becoming apparent.

I think some of it was also competitiveness in the old days and numbers being altered in the admin area. Couldn't ever prove that now mind lol so maybe not.

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay. Dave Howe has a new account, after he asked for his old account to be deleted.

His new account: @Dave
His old account (now marked as guest, so although the figures are counted in the totals of the forum, they're not attached to his name): David Howe Tiling win Walls and Floor Competition on Twitter - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/david-howe-tiling-win-walls-and-floor-competition-on-twitter.64475/#post-651669

That's Dave done.

Doug had his account erased. Neale (Sir Ramic) was admin at the time and said Doug was moaning about having his numbers back. So Neale went into the back end and edited the figure. So Doug WAS riding around on thousands. But they were false.

Doug's New Account (With true and accurate figures): @Doug Boardley
Dougs old account, posts counted towards the forum, but not applied to his account: JOTM 2011 - ** Please vote for JOTY 2011 ** - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/please-vote-for-joty-2011.54909/#post-568107

See how that works people?

No conspiracy.

They fell out with Gisela, over some vase. It was nothing to do with the forum or me. They ended up hitting the roof about it. All asked to have their accounts erased. I followed their requests. They came back (I never banned them, they could come back at any time) and wanted their old numbers.

My forums don't work like that. If you leave, on your head be it sunny jim. :)

Hope that explains it AND PROVES IT to be the case that it is.

Butt hurting about some numbers online.

Going back bed. :)

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I came in a bit strong with that because people were reporting to me that they'd seen and read elsewhere that we were somehow cheating some members out of their post counts.

I saw that as an elbow in the ribs in passing.

It's worth noting that both @Doug Boardley and @Dave both did make those counts at some point. And so did @Bri and some other original first-year members.

If you're the type of person to apply weight based on post counts then these guys are the heaviest of the lot. It doesn't directly link to how much you respect them and how you treat them though. Everybody should be treated in a fair and equal way.

Trusted Advisors used to be called Elite Member, and those with the tag would vote in on a monthly basis other "Elite Members".

Wouldn't get away with that these days! Times change.

Personally I value their knowledge, and Doug has a lot of it. And experience (not going to confirm his age it's against Data Protection Act but it's triple digits if you go off his knowledge to work it out!!! 😋😉😍).

Everybody needs ignore the counts. They were created a number or ways. But you will see their names popping up in threads that still get used these days by newbies to find good solid advice. And that's what counts.

Apologies to all for coming on strong. I can't stand being told I'm fixing something. It's my passion to be different from other forums and social sites. And actually be helpful long term. So it hit me where it hurts all that did.

Doug is a good guy with good knowledge.

D

Dougs Third Go

Okay I came in a bit strong with that because people were reporting to me that they'd seen and read elsewhere that we were somehow cheating some members out of their post counts.

I saw that as an elbow in the ribs in passing.

It's worth noting that both @Doug Boardley and @Dave both did make those counts at some point. And so did @Bri and some other original first-year members.

If you're the type of person to apply weight based on post counts then these guys are the heaviest of the lot. It doesn't directly link to how much you respect them and how you treat them though. Everybody should be treated in a fair and equal way.

Trusted Advisors used to be called Elite Member, and those with the tag would vote in on a monthly basis other "Elite Members".

Wouldn't get away with that these days! Times change.

Personally I value their knowledge, and Doug has a lot of it. And experience (not going to confirm his age it's against Data Protection Act but it's triple digits if you go off his knowledge to work it out!!! 😋😉😍).

Everybody needs ignore the counts. They were created a number or ways. But you will see their names popping up in threads that still get used these days by newbies to find good solid advice. And that's what counts.

Apologies to all for coming on strong. I can't stand being told I'm fixing something. It's my passion to be different from other forums and social sites. And actually be helpful long term. So it hit me where it hurts all that did.

Doug is a good guy with good knowledge.
thanks for clearing this up Dan, much appreciated. I am knocking on a bit, but I do plan on being around for quite a while yet! haha! and I will still be posting! Cheers again.

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I had posted to clarify mate. I no way am I doing it to encourage you to post. I firmly believe the above regardless of your posting patterns.

Just so it's clear. :)

That said, thanks for any posts you make to help others. And I say that on behalf of all the ones who nip on here, get some advice, and do one and never have a problem with their tile because of it, so never come back to thank you all.

Thanks on behalf of all them lol

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Okay. Dave Howe has a new account, after he asked for his old account to be deleted.

His new account: @Dave
His old account (now marked as guest, so although the figures are counted in the totals of the forum, they're not attached to his name): David Howe Tiling win Walls and Floor Competition on Twitter - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/david-howe-tiling-win-walls-and-floor-competition-on-twitter.64475/#post-651669

That's Dave done.

Doug had his account erased. Neale (Sir Ramic) was admin at the time and said Doug was moaning about having his numbers back. So Neale went into the back end and edited the figure. So Doug WAS riding around on thousands. But they were false.

Doug's New Account (With true and accurate figures): @Doug Boardley
Dougs old account, posts counted towards the forum, but not applied to his account: JOTM 2011 - ** Please vote for JOTY 2011 ** - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/please-vote-for-joty-2011.54909/#post-568107

See how that works people?

No conspiracy.

They fell out with Gisela, over some vase. It was nothing to do with the forum or me. They ended up hitting the roof about it. All asked to have their accounts erased. I followed their requests. They came back (I never banned them, they could come back at any time) and wanted their old numbers.

My forums don't work like that. If you leave, on your head be it sunny jim. :)

Hope that explains it AND PROVES IT to be the case that it is.

Butt hurting about some numbers online.

Going back bed. :)

I don’t recall asking for my account to be deleted 😳

Reply to Old Post Counts - And why they change in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock